Archinect
anchor

Any suggestion for online resources that has tutorial for hand sketching for architects?

MAAK

Hello,

I know that hand sketching is not relevant anymore professionally or at least not as it used to be, but i would like to improve my sketching techniques by self learning and I would appreciate it if anyone can share with me online resources that can help with this matter. 

Thanks, 

Jun 3, 20 10:35 am
newbie.Phronesis

There's this guy https://youtu.be/5Ujj-fe24Ps, and 30x40 on YouTube also has a lot of good videos. Can take a course or get a book, took me literally a minute to find:

https://www.amazon.ca/Urban-Sketching-Handbook-Architecture-Cityscapes/dp/1592539610/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sketching+architecture&qid=1591215001&sr=8-3

Or better yet, just sketch... >.> Practice makes perfect

Jun 3, 20 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

It's important to add that the links above are for two different, but related types of sketching. The first link is for conceptual project renderings or perspectives. The second is for life drawing of buildings. Both are good to know.

Jun 3, 20 5:00 pm  · 
1  · 
leonizer

https://www.sketchlikeanarchitect.com/

you're welcome

Jun 3, 20 5:23 pm  · 

Thomas Eakins taught by having his students paint eggs. His argument was that it was a familiar form, so student could through seeing and repetition w/o worrying about content. As students got more comfortable with painting what they saw, he would complicate the assignments by adding color, etc. but it still had to be an egg.

Point being- there’s no need to copy techniques from a series of websites. Find a familiar set of forms and practice every day, until you figure out what your “hand” looks  like. 

Jun 3, 20 8:33 pm  · 
1  · 
ODMA

I once did the Bargue Cours de Dessin course over a year part-time. I did it with a school of drawing and it's very good at developing your accuracy, understanding of tone and line quality. The course was designed for students of the ecole des beaux arts due to dissatisfaction in the country with students drawing abilities at the time. It is a very formal course, starting with copying plates 1:1. Then moving on to copying from casts, and then to drawing from life. Lots of people might get into a bit of a twist about this and cite the need for individuality. Great! But what I found good about the course was how all of my focus was just on line quality and tone. I didn't need to worry too much about what I was drawing. It was really valuable, even Van Gogh used to copy the plates when in his isolation to improve his accuracy.

My point is you should employ a number of different methods to improve your drawing skills. The above is one method. I was also studying painting at the time which was a good counterpoint. Try to approach developing your skill from multiple points of view. If your skill level is low, going outside just sketching what you see will really damage your confidence; because you will probably sketch only what you think you can see. Many people do this who have developed good drawing styles and methods, and it is therapeutic for them. You should, of course, still do this and experiment with different mediums and techniques. Also, study other peoples drawings and copy them. Then try using their technique to draw something in reality, with either a similar or totally different subject.

Improving can take a long time. But if you focus yourself, you can achieve a lot even over a ten week period.

I also recommend Harold Speed's: The Practice and Science of Drawing.

Good luck!

Jun 4, 20 7:35 am  · 
 · 
Dwhite1017

Just go outside and start sketching. Or you can go to Archdaily, Dezeen, etc. and start sketching buildings. Your first sketches will likely suck, but eventually you will get better.

Jun 6, 20 9:32 am  · 
1  · 
Sperticus

https://gumroad.com/foundation_patreon?sort=most_reviewed Not free, but you might find some of these useful.

Jun 8, 20 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: