Archinect
anchor

MArch draft portfolio review

Jaetten

I am working on a new portfolio for a possible MArch application due to the possibility of relocation.

Portfolio is in the link below, fell free to comment honestly!

https://issuu.com/glossop.design/docs/portfolio-ca

This is very much a draft at present, it has the general layout and content but still far from finished.

Jun 3, 20 8:25 am
Non Sequitur

Hey, given your previous conversation, I know where you'll be sending this too so I'll focus my comments on that.

First impressions... the images are way too desaturated.  Everything looks like it got washed with the same grey-brown cloth.  It's muddy and does not make the imagery particularly appealing.  You also need to redo the some of the images since I can tell you used a feather % when you trimmed in PS.  Brighter monitors will pick-out editing mistakes more easily.

Anyways, as for content, you need to put more emphasis on the progress work and dirty napkin sketches.  This is the best way to show how you think and resolve design problems.  Anyone can press the render button and throw-up shiny images.  You need to show more progress and final designs.

Also important... those technical drawings in the first project are not in scale.  The plan is larger than the section/elevations (you have 1:100 and 1:200 scales).  Both scales are too small to show anything meaningful.  Better to draw these at a scale that will fit the folio layout and align them.  Remember, assembling the portfolio is a design exercise.  Reviewers will notice when things are just thrown on a page without much thought.  This includes image alignment, text/font placement and what images get preferential treatment.

Cheers.

Jun 3, 20 10:11 am  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Thank you, will review and amend this evening after work.

Jun 3, 20 10:56 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I agree with NS on the progress drawings.  I would advise also taking a look at your typeface choice and placement.  The typeface is very generic and the text placement is all over the page. The title of the project is in the same place but separated from the rest of the text.  I also suggest adding a two to three sentences max explaining what the project is.  Keep it brief!  The portfolio is a design project.  Consider reviewing a few layouts you can use throughout instead of making each spread unique.

You have a table of contents, but no pages have pages numbers.  Honestly this portfolio is short enough that you probably don't need a TOC.  I'm not sure what the CN tower has to do with your work.  I'd remove it.  You probably also don't need a 'personal details' page if you are also submitting a CV. It takes up potential space that could be used for those napkin sketches NS recommended.

Jun 3, 20 11:40 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Thank you, the starting point for this portfolio came from another which required my own photography and fine art and a cv in the same folio. I have removed the fine art from this draft. That being said, it probably would make more sense to keep the fine art than the CN Tower photo. Thanks, will amend and remove the photos and cv page, which is blank at present anyway. you're right, a page for contents on so few pages seems like a wasted page.

Jun 3, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 

I'm going to also agree with NS's and thatsthat's comments. 

I'm also going to reinforce the need for process sketches.  I've been doing this for just over 15 years so my portfolio consists of all built work however  I have an entire section of my portfolio for just process sketches.  Potential employers really do like to see that stuff.  As other have said it shows how you think.   

Jun 3, 20 12:51 pm  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Thanks folks, my action list is:

Images, I went OTT with the desaturation, will reset back to zero and rework the photoshop stuff

Layout, making more white space and having less per spread.

Need to find my sketchbook from my first degree, that's got a large selection of sketches, if not, I'll make some new napkins to insert!

Scale of technical drawings, thank you, they were scaled for a different document, will amend those.

Fine art, should I include? got a few watercolours that may be suitable.

Jun 3, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

If you feel that your watercolors show further skill in your perception and depiction of space, I say include them. Maybe just 1 spread, nothing too extensive.

Jun 3, 20 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

https://issuu.com/home/published/portfolio-ca-002

Further progress, I'm done for the night, its 2250 here.

Jun 3, 20 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

https://issuu.com/glossop.desi...

Current version above. Still doesn't feel there.

I used this, albeit retitled for another application that required other drawings and interests/hobbies - the last page of photos made up a section of these and was combined with water colours.

I don't think any other institution will require the photography so I can probably remove.

Nov 11, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

You're image on spread 10-11 is killing me. Take out the ceiling lights and range hood at the very least.

Nov 12, 20 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Yeah, those spots are hideous... I like the hood though ;) I'm in the process of developing further, I've got recessed directional spots going in and the hob will be relocated. Island will become breakfast bar with built in oven and food prep space - will open up the view and make the kitchen function better.

Nov 13, 20 6:22 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

I can't help but notice that what you're describing appeals more to an interior design client than a school admissions committee. Not that kitchen layouts and views are not important but schools would probably care less for directional lights and hobs than your design ideas, principles, interests, and processes - and how these will contribute to the class.

Nov 13, 20 7:21 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Thank you, you're quite right. The project in question is my own, we (me and the wife) are in the process of designing our home. For this portfolio, it is probably overkill for me to go into so much detail. This project lacks process work, and physical model, which I would like to make. I think that maybe a colour/finish mood board could help? That may be to much Interior Design though. This folio will be going to Carleton, CA.

Nov 13, 20 7:33 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

You can be selective about what processes to show - I don't think every project needs models, diagrams, sketches. You've already got sketches and details. A model could be nice to add visual variety and showcase how you think through making. I'd suggest picking better angles and colors for your renders - the house gets cropped off in an odd manner and some of the images are still quite muddy though you've tackled the desaturation issue. The composition can be tightened up more - in the wider, landscape shots it could be hard to discern what exactly it is you're trying to communicate due to the lack of color and formal hierarchy. If an image doesn't work, a collage could do just as well.

Nov 13, 20 7:55 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Thank you, will amend accordingly.

Nov 16, 20 4:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: