Archinect
anchor

AA Emtech vs. Bartlett's MSc in Architectural Computation

LefKour

Hello everyone. I have recently been admitted to both AA's Emtech program (MSc) and Bartlett's MSc in Architectural Computation and accepted the offer of AA.

As of my background, I hold a Diploma in Architectural Engineering equivalent to a Level 7 Degree.Through the postgraduate degree, I would like to delve deeper in the field of computational deisgn and digital fabrication and hopefully work as a researcher, an experimental architect or work in a firm's R&D department The reason that I chose AA was that I was offered a bursary, significantly reducing the cost of studying there, and the I thought that Emtech is more closely correlated with digital fabrication.

I noticed that I could defer the admission of Bartlett and pursue a second postgraduate degree in Architectural Computation after completing Emtech. Apart from that, I was thinking about doing an M.Arch. and follow the itinerary of a RIBA/ARB license.

Do you think that a second MSc in Architectural Computation is overkill, excessive or a waste of money and time? Does Emtech cover topics taught in Architectural Computation? Is there any overlap? Also, would pursuing a PhD in Computation a better option? Apart from that, is in my case M.Arch. RIBA part II  degree of any use towards the direction that I would like to head in my career?

I would love to know your opinion on these questions, especially if you have insight on the two programms I mentioned. 

May 30, 20 6:28 pm
TED
At the AA you could extend the program 1 semester for a MArch EmTech. Doing 2 computation degrees is nuts so after the Pg do a phd at Bartlett. For Bartlett Part 2 program you should check entry requirements as an architectural technology degree is no considered a Part 1 equivalent degree so possibly you would not be offered a place as is very competitive. Previously the Bartlett MSc used Process as core software. I did emtech and covered the full gambit from C## rhino generative components to integrating analyses software such as Ansys to digital fabrication. There are many pathway to practice‘architecture’ without a part 2. One of my mates from the program had an engineering Bs from a top US program and is now an associate director in computation at Foster + partners
May 31, 20 3:32 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

OP, do you have a 5 year diploma from a Greek Technical University? 

Why don't you do both AA and UCL computation courses at the same time? Because, if you decided to go to London and to AA, money must not really be an issue to you. So, spend an extra 10k and you'll get both diplomas (if you think that's important) and also twice the network. Also Bedford Square and Bartlett are located very close in Fitzrovia, so you can schedule your tutorials flexibly. Sure, It could be a bit intensive but there's plenty of people out there who do double Masters (for a fact, I am doing one) or part-time MSc or apprenticeships. 

May 31, 20 6:19 am  · 
 · 
LefKour

robhaw, thank you for the response. Yes, I hold a 5 year diploma from a Greek Technical University. Also stated as an Integrated Master's Degree on the diploma copy. Do you think that it is achievable, considering the intensity of both programs?

May 31, 20 7:19 am  · 
 · 
TED

That's nuts - Bartlett programme may be at Hear East Campus - Schedules and teaching are not flexible to the student and group teaching is very much part of each programme -

May 31, 20 10:01 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

I know people who work 45h+ week architecture jobs in London and also do part-time architecture courses. A colleague of mine did a part-time MSc at the Bartlett while working at a starchitect. I had the opportunity to do one too, but decided on doing a full-time double MSc instead. If you factor in 10h commute a week(zone 2), as a full-time worker you are left with 15h a week for coursework. So a total of 60h of work commitment. The AA states in their website that the Emtech is 1800h/year. Emtech is 2 years full time (42h/week) and you can do UCL Mres part-time in 2 years (extra 20h/week) rather than 1 year full time. So with 60-70h commitment, you could be doing 1 full-time course parallel to 1 part-time course and graduate in 2 years. Also, there will definitely be overlap of course content. If you spend 5h a week learning code/software, that would be beneficial to both of your courses. In my experience, UK education relies more on self-directed study, so it would be up to you to make maximum use of the time available. TED could be right about possible course schedule overlaps or venues, so perhaps send an email to the course administration?

May 31, 20 11:02 am  · 
 · 
LefKour

May 31, 20 7:15 am  · 
 · 
TED

MSc Emtech is a 1 year FT program. Think you have no clue on what you're doing. You have an unrealistic perspective on what Universities are for. 

May 31, 20 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

My apologies, I read in a document that it was 2 year long, perhaps that was their part- time programme, so I was confused. Therefore, I thought that the OP can combine the 2, if they would be staying in London for 2 years. I think though that your second statement is rather hasted. Level 7 Apprenticehips are 4.5 days/week work, plus overtime, and then you are expected to complete both Part2 and Part3 part-time in 3.5-4 years. In my opinion, it's easier to combine 2 degrees together, especially if they have the same focus, rather than work+study. So the amount of effort here would be greater for an apprentice rather than a joint degree student. Are you against joint degrees or apprenticeships?

May 31, 20 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
TED

The AA has never had PT PGT courses. An apprenticeship is completely different and cannot be compared to taught post grad. Dual degrees are designed as such at a single university.

May 31, 20 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

TED, that's the document I was looking at from my phone earlier today. On second glance, this is a double MSc & MArch which could actually be a far better combination than 2 MSc in computation. That's also why I was confused in regards to the duration.

May 31, 20 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
TED

This isn't a double award - you either do the 1 year MSc or carry on 1 additional term and do the MArch (18 Months)

Jun 1, 20 3:18 am  · 
 · 
LefKour

I thank you both for the responses. I learned much more than I anticipated. I appreciate it a lot. It is a really intriguing concept to do both majors at once. But I have to admit that it might be too risky and excessive. My initial interest was to see whether Emtech and Bartlett's PG cover common territories as I am more interested in computation and computational design than  structural and environmental analysis. TED, would you mind sharing your insight regarding the computational career prospects of an Emtech alumnus? 

May 31, 20 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
TED

As said my close mate is at Fosters'. The Emtech programme recruits architects/engineers/artist. A second mate from my cohort had an art background and is also at Fosters - AA and Emtech has strong links to Arups and AKT II - If you are considering a research teaching role after emtech have a look at PhD at University of Stuttgauart with Achim Menges who was my Emtech Tutor - At the AA it is much easier to undertake workshops and studies from SED and DRL (that's what I did) than The Bartlett which works more as separate programs.

Jun 1, 20 3:24 am  · 
 · 
LefKour

I also applied to ITECH, but unfortunately I was rejected. I have been following their work and I am really intrigued by their research. I am glad to have that prospect as an Emtech alumnus. Thank you TED for your help. Also, some further questions, if it is no burden to you of course. What is it like to take DRL workshops and what kind of classes are they? I knew that there was some cross-course attendance possibility, but I didn't investigate it any further. I should read the regulations more in depth. Plus, do you have any idea on what is the essential difference between an M.Arch and an MSc in this context? I personally followed the suggestion of a local counselor in Greece, who advised me that since I already hold a diploma equivalent to an M.Arch. that it would be reduntant. But I'm not sure whether an M.Arch would be a plus in my case.

Jun 2, 20 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
TED

You might be interested in this free workshop Planet AA Emtech

Jun 8, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: