Archinect
anchor

SketchUp online

I purchased a subscription to SketchUp today, the version that only lets you save files to the cloud, not locally. What is the economic impetus behind this? It seems to me it's cheaper for a company to *not* maintain a cloud server full of SU doodads.

May 18, 20 8:41 pm
randomised

It is so they have you hooked now, you have to constantly renew the subscription just to keep access to your own files.

May 19, 20 4:00 am  · 
2  · 

The last time I used SU with any regularity was 10 years ago. The user interface with the most recent version seems bad (I've used it intermittently over the last decade). Like many products (<cough> Apple) it seems like they've gone for a clean minimalist look that looks cool but makes it impossible to find anything. 

Anyway. It's cheap enough that I guess I shouldn't expect much of it. 

May 19, 20 8:53 am  · 
Non Sequitur

The pro version is closer to the original and allows local storage and easy conversion of dwg files. New versions of sketchup come with a bunch of other options for those who love punishment and try to make working drawings out of their models. I don’t think t typical icons in the pro version have changed in any of the last versions. Could be missing toolbars.

May 19, 20 8:56 am  · 
3  · 

Sadly Pro is $150 more and I can't afford that right now .

May 19, 20 8:59 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

the cloud is going to be the vehicle to hold you ransom to access to your files in the future....willing dependency.  

May 19, 20 11:23 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Is there anything not predicted by classic simpsons?

May 19, 20 11:35 am  · 
4  · 
chigurh

Accurate

May 19, 20 8:08 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: