Archinect
anchor

B.A Psychology/ M.Arch/ DDes??

archi_net

Hi everyone. Here's my story... 

I am a first-generation college student. I grew up most of my life struggling in the educational system due to language barriers. One thing I always valued is education and the power it has to change the world. 

I have a strong interest in research and digital fabrication. As well as political issues that affects society. In a perfect world, I would like to combine my two careers to one. Architecture and psychology. 

I have a B.A in psychology and currently attending a 3 year M.Arch program. Currently at the end of my 2nd year. 

Through my time in grad school, it's been really challenging being able to leap into a new field, not knowing much about. Although I always gave it my 100% my personal limitations prevented me to get the best grades possible. Such as software knowledge, public speaking, and time management. 

Currently, entering my final year going into thesis, I feel much more confident and able to express my creativity. I have been also actively working towards improving all my skills and learn new softwares on my own time. 

As for my career experience, I've only had one internship I completed  last summer. During my time at the firm, I felt really inspired to keep going and really enjoyed the time I spent learning. I am hopeful to continue to intern this summer and keep improving. 

One of my goals since I can remember was to always reach a high level in education such as getting my doctorate. Although I did not have a clear idea of what, I've been lately looking at Phd programs in architecture.

My interest in research include applying psychology, architecture, and sustainability to better design for world issues. 

My question is: What are the steps I can take the next couple of years to maximize my chances to getting accepted to GSE program at Harvard for the Doctor of Design Program. Does any one have a similar background or any advice? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations. 

I am not the type of student with a perfect 4.0 or who wins awards. I currently have a 3.4 and have one more year left of graduate school. I am really passionate about architecture, learning and improving as much as possible. As a student and a professional. 

Thank you for reading.

May 17, 20 1:16 am

Thanks for the post mate_guan!

You've got a lot to unpack here. Have you checked out The Academy of Neuroscience for Architecture? They have some interesting resources for someone of your interests. 

My other recommendation is always the same for candidates asking about schools, your best bet is to reach out to the school and talk to the admissions counselors AND people from the school of architecture, like the Dean or Chair of the department you are interested in. The school will be able to give you specific feedback on what they might look for.

The other approach is to try and find someone who has gone through the program you're interested in, which you've attempted here, we just have to wait if anyone comes along who can help you.

Also, you may find this article helpful:

Good Luck!

May 22, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: