Archinect
anchor

Università IUAV di Venezia Masters in Architecture

Minimi

Hello guys,

I have been admitted to IUAV in venice (Italy) 2020 and I would like to know more about the university and its International Master's degree in Architecture (Taught in English).

Is anyone planning on going there or already in/done the course?

Any thoughts about Venice, IUAV, and the Architecture Master's Degree programme?

Any suggestions/thoughts or anything you would have to say regarding this would be great! I am planning on joining the course.

Thank you

May 12, 20 4:10 pm
MAAK

Hi, I have been admitted too to IUAV, and I think I will go too, it seems to have a great history and good reputation. 

May 14, 20 2:47 am  · 
1  · 
krisrenzo

Hello Dear I am looking to apply for the IUAV MA architecture programme, I will greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips on how I should approach my application. And what my chances are, for a second class upper B.Arch graduate from Ghana Here is my email: krisrenzo79@gmail.com

Apr 7, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Hi, 

I'm currently attending the first year of this Master's degree in Architecture at IUAV. It is the first year of the course itself so it's pretty young and we all kind of were (and still are) the guinea pigs of the situation. But that's positive for you because now they know better what to do and how to do it for next year.

IUAV has a lot of history and great resources for its students, just to say two, it has a huge library and a strong international network of universities and professors. The English thought program has the advantage to have (compared to the Italian one): fewer students per class, some of the best professors from the university, and from abroad (invited professors).

Believe it or not, IUAV is investing a lot of effort and resources into this program.

Apart from this, I can recommend one thing. If you come, stay in Venice city center. Please don't rent an apartment in the mainland or in the other islands. The extreme acqua Malta and Covid killed tourism for a while so you'll likely find really cheap apartments to share. You'll be closer to uni so long spritz sessions will not be a problem. Bring long boots ;)

Saturday 16th and 23th of May 2020 at 4pm CEST I'll be live with other students and a couple of professors on the Instagram page to answer questions. You'll also get other opinions. page > @iuavmasterarchitecture

May 14, 20 7:28 pm  · 
2  · 
MAAK

Does the programme offer any computational design modules ?

May 15, 20 12:58 am  · 
 · 
matteofontana

It doesn't at the moment. Who wants is, of course, free to experiment but it's an autonomous/self-learning path. I developed part of the project with grasshopper and we got a lecture that was featuring case studies on that but nothing more.

May 15, 20 7:44 am  · 
1  · 
MAAK

Hello, Another question, what do you think of iuav compared to polimi, polito, and university of florence ?

May 20, 20 2:09 am  · 
1  · 
Minimi

Thank you, Matteo! This was extremely helpful, I am really leaning towards IUAV. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Are the projects usually carried out independently or in groups? Could you give me some insight into the modules/assignments and what they are about, maybe more technical, design-related or a bit of both? Would we have optional modules? I would also like to know where exactly would you recommend renting out an apartment in the city? Do you have any specific areas/locations in mind near the uni? If you know any websites I could look into for renting out apartments, that would be great :)

May 20, 20 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
MAAK

Check this from IUAV website:

http://www.iuav.it/INTERNATIO/STUDENT-LI/housing/index.htm

May 20, 20 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
matteofontana

Projects most of the times are developed in teams of 3-4 people. Nobody will force you to do so but it's strongly suggested due to the number of the students and the limited time for studio reviews. Three out of four semesters of the master are organized in interdisciplinary studios. The leading team of the studio will be composed of architects but also professors of more "technical" subjects. The studio approach really depends on the professors. It can get pretty technical especially at the end of the semester, still without abandoning the compositional part of the project. Next week is final crit and we have to deliver structural plans, details, energy efficiency and interior comfort calculations, but also views, diagrams and a 1 minute video on the project. The program of the master is quite rigid and doesn't give too much time for electives (a shame imho). Electives are most of the time in Italian that's also why they are quite difficult to be attended by international students. About apartments, what MAAK shared is a good link. What I can suggest is to find an apartment close to ex-cotonificio Santa Marta (the building used by the architecture courses). Taking vaporetto (water bus) is time consuming so I would choose something that is within 15-20 minutes walk from Cotonificio. There are many fb groups to rend apartments but you can also just have a look at immobiliare.it or idealista.it to find an empty apartment and then find people to share it with.

Jun 3, 20 6:00 pm  · 
1  · 
krisrenzo

Hello Dear I am looking to apply for the IUAV MA architecture programme, I will greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips on how I should approach my application. And what my chances are, for a second class upper B.Arch graduate from Ghana Here is my email: krisrenzo79@gmail.com

Apr 7, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
varunbhimanpally

matteofontana 

I am  another student who has got into MA program for 2020, I have a few of questions too.

1. As IUAV is an Art and Architecture school, do you have an artistic approach towards the design?

2. As ill not be funded from my home for the living expenses, can I work part time nearby to cover my monthly expenses? (will learning ITALIAN help, also will it effect my studies?) Will the university provide any help with it and can we apply for scholarship the next year? please give some information regarding this.

3. Are there any possibilities of post degree job opportunities? I will obviously like to approach the firms by myself but will there be any guidance from your side?

Please revert :) 

Aug 16, 20 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: