Archinect
anchor

UK Architecture BA or MA later in life

oneday

I have always had a passion for the theory, history and practice of architecture. I am based in the UK and am in the very fortunate position that, if I save a high proportion of my salary for the next 7 years (coronavirus-economy allowing), I will have enough money to build a small house on some land that I own in Spain. I currently work as a software engineer which I do enjoy, but at the same time I miss having a visual creative outlet. I seem to spend a lot of time, when at home, staring into space, imagining different layouts for the walls and windows and doors of my London flat. 

Previously, I earned a Masters Degree in Cinema while working part-time. Over the next year, I plan to cut my work back to 3.5 days a week so that I can study further, and would ideally like to study architecture.

My questions:

- Would studying the RIBA Part I, part-time over 5 years, be useful if I eventually want to 'design' and build my own house? (By 'design', I mean broadly conceptually - I appreciate I will not have the skill or experience to do the full design myself)

- As I am a mature student and already have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and an MA in cinema, do you think studying for an Architecture MA (Part II) would be possible/advisable without doing Part I? Or would it be too much of a jump?

- Even with a RIBA 1 and/or 2, I know I would be a long long way from being an experienced architect and so would still need to hire an architect to work on a self build - but would having a BA/MA make me a better client with clearer ideas of what I want? Or would it make me an architect's worst nightmare of a client - "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" etc?

Many thanks.

May 10, 20 12:10 pm
TED

In the UK, you cannot enter a Part II programme without a previous architecture degree or a Part I. But what you  should consider doing a post-professional 1-2 year masters programme with strong computation/fabrication emphasis - Have a look at the Bartlett Design for Manufacture https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett... (part Time 30 months with application deadline 28 August) Good Luck!

May 11, 20 4:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: