Archinect
anchor

Question about getting master's after game school?

EnvironmentalBench2

I am about to finish my BFA degree from my school. My school is known for its programs revolving around the gaming industry, it is good at what it does. It has a reputation for being one of the best game schools out there, but is it a "game school".

After I get my BFA I wanted to continue to get my m. arch at a regular university. Would my school even be considered an actual school? What is the possibility of me getting into a master's program at a good university? Does the name of the college matter? Are a good portfolio or GRE the biggest consideration for admission?

Apr 30, 20 1:47 pm
Non Sequitur

It depends... a little bit of yes to all your questions but it's quite impossible to give out more info when you keep it so generic.  

Typically, the portfolio and recommendation letters determine the bulk of an applicant's chances but you at least need to make the cut.  This will likely be determined by your undergrad degree cGPA.  The name of your undergrad matters zero since all you need to get that name is pay tuition these days anyways.  The body of work you bring will determine your chances at admittance.

Apr 30, 20 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
EnvironmentalBench2

I'm in Digital Art and Animation BFA at Digipen. We do a lot of CG rendering, 3d modeling, animation, rigging, and even a bit of programming. I do have a little background in architecture, I took some arch design prerequisite at a state school before transferring to my current school. I transfer college because of financial and personal issues, my current school offers me a scholarship that I could not resist. My passion is in architecture and my ultimate goal is to get a m. arch degree.

Apr 30, 20 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I personally think that you will have a great chance at grad school, considering your undergrad, cuz of both the graphical and computational components of your education. That said, yes, the portfolio and reco letters are most important. Find a program in a college that interests you, get in touch with their faculty if you can and ask questions. Never hurts to get inside information.

That said, I wonder if a masters in architecture is even worth the trouble. Arent there any other avenues you can seek?

Apr 30, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
EnvironmentalBench2

Architecture is my passion and one of my life goals. My original plan was to get a BA in Architecture design, because of a financial and personal issue. I wonder

Apr 30, 20 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
EnvironmentalBench2

I wonder would your industry consider my skill to be useful? I mostly use Maya for 3d modeling and rendering I hope my skills have some characteristic that crossover with architecture design(like rendering). I've heard that architects use software like Vectorworksor vray?

Apr 30, 20 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

@EnvironmentalBench2 Vectorworks is used yes (mainly Europe) and Maya is also good bonus to have for custom modelling. You'll probably have no issues with any of the computer side of architecture, but it'll be more about building up your technical and design skills in the Master's program.

Could consider becoming a game/movie architectural designer maybe? A pretty valid avenue

May 7, 20 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Passion and Life goal? Lol. I think you should get a summer internship in an architecture office and see how it really is.

May 10, 20 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Your portfolio will mean a lot. What school is your BFA from and what is the program? Non Sequitur is pretty spot on, but it is tough to help you with such little detail.

Apr 30, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
EnvironmentalBench2

I'm in Digital Art and Animation BFA program, my school is Digipen. I don't know if you've heard of it... but We mostly do a lot of CG rendering and 3d modeling.

Apr 30, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Cool. No, I haven't heard of it, but I think your best bet is to reach out to some architecture schools and see what their requirements are. You'd be likely looking at a 3-year M.Arch program.

May 7, 20 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I basically did what the OP is asking about, I worked as an environment designer for Rockstar Games, then while doing that, studied arch to get an M.arch degree(3 year M.arch), then moved to SF to work at a big office doing high rises n stuff, and later design a game studio in foundary square - at this remove, this is a great path into architecture

May 7, 20 2:27 pm  · 
2  · 
EnvironmentalBench2

Wow! Your experience is actually super inspiring for me because you are actually what I want to become!!! I'm glad you reply to my post! I'm super happy knowing someone with the same background can do it! If you don't mean me asking, which school did you went to for your M. arch? If you don't mind sharing, do you think I can take a look at your portfolio?

May 9, 20 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: