Archinect
anchor

Advice Please: Syracuse vs. Georgia Tech/UVA/WashU

Archydad

Looking for some help. My daughter has been accepted to a number of undergraduate Architecture programs and is the final stages of making her decision. Complicating matters greatly has been the pandemic which has prevented admitted students, and for some schools, she has had no previous visits. She is a strong student from a top public school in New York State, so she is no stranger to hard work, but is also quite social and wants to have a positive college experience. 

Schools she been accepted to include the following: 

Syracuse (BArch) with honors program and full tuition scholarship for 5 years (COA 17K)

Georgia Tech (BS Architecture) OOS (COA 47K)

University of Virginia (BS Architecture) OOS (COA 75K)

WashU (BS Architecture) (COA 80K)

Syracuse has really hit it out of the park with their virtual sessions, with great depth and breadth. No other program has come close. Fantastic, involved Dean, Michael Speaks. SU is closer to home (maybe important in this uncertain world) 2.5 hour drive. The one stumbling block is that while the School of Architecture is highly rated, the university itself is not quite as prestigious or selective as her other choices. 

She did a summer program at Georgia Tech, really liked the school and Atlanta, but finds the program on the smaller size. She likes the idea of a rigorous program, but I am not sure that the heavy math/CS general education requirements may detract from her ability to complete a minor. I get it for an engineer, but not sure the added STEM rigor is beneficial to an architect. Also, a bit more limited alternate major list if she chooses to change majors. Further away than others. More afforable than all but SU.

UVa is a wonderful school that we were able to visit. She is a little concerned about it being a bit more culture heavy and finding her place there.  Very selective. Wide list of alternate majors. Bit harder to get to. Expensive.

WashU is 2 plane legs, so harder to get to/from. Seems a bit more art focused for her taste. Students apparently love the place, but most expensive. Very selective. Great parent university, highest ranked university she is considering.

Obviously, there are significant differences in the BArch vs 4+2 programs. She likes the idea of a bit more academic flexibility of the BS, but not a major factor. For me, one big concern with the 4+2 is that she completes the BS, then starts working for a couple years, then never completes the MArch and is never licensed, as life intervenes. The BArch is a bit of insurance to make sure that doesn’t happen. 

Hoping that someone has more first-hand knowledge of a few of these great programs and can make relative comparisons and suggestions. I know that she really can’t go wrong with any of them. The full scholarship at SU is very attractive, I don’t want it to be the deciding factor. GT is financially doable with some rearranging of priorities, while UVa and WashU are bit more of a stretch and may involve jobs/loans, but still doable.

Syracuse is the program to beat at the moment, but I/she will feel more than a little funny turning down more prestigious universities (but not more prestigious Schools of Architecture).  

Apr 28, 20 3:38 pm
thatsthat

A BS.Arch is a great option if your daughter is not 100% sold on being an architect.  A B.Arch is much more optimal for the reasons you listed, but only if she is sold.  It is very likely that she won't really have much time for a job during the semester; the workload even in a BS program can be very intense.  On the financial side, cheaper is better, especially if she is thinking of an M.Arch in the future; unlicensed architects (interns we call them) don't make much money right out of school even with an M.Arch.  Most employers don't offer more money to an applicant with an M.Arch in lieu of a B.Arch or BS.Arch.  If they do, it's not much. 

I went to UVA for grad school; it was a fantastic experience.  The faculty were all extremely warm, welcoming, and knowledgable.  Even though the program is top tier, I never had anyone make me feel like I didn't belong there.  Additionally, UVA is known for its wide alumni network which really has helped me in the long run.  

Because you are in NYS, I'll say currently NYS allows BS.Arch grads to become licensed through additional experience requirements - 5 years of experience in lieu of 2 or 3 - but I wouldn't bank on having that opportunity in the future.  She may want to get her license in a different state right out of school or they may change the rules. Who knows.

Apr 28, 20 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
autofireunit

I think people who want to do architecture in career will eventually get licensed regardless of their undergrad experience. 

I am from Washu now going into grad school. About 3/5 of the entire class stayed studying architecture at senior year. Among them, 1/2 choose to go to grad school right away and most got into top grad schools such as Harvard, MIT, Yale, GSAPP, and penn

Apr 28, 20 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
square.

have you seen the economy lately?? DO NOT pay 50k+ for a b.s. in architecture. your daughter will have to pursue a costly masters afterwards if she wants to get licensed. let it be something she chooses to do, assuming she wants to pursue architecture after the education (fair warning: many students drop out of these programs, for good reason. they are very demanding and not for anyone; another reason not to overpay).

this is a really simple choice: syracuse = better degree for less money, from a great program that you/she are excited about. the one hesitation is based on a false assumption at best, delusion about prestige at worst. i don't see much difference in respectability between any of these programs, but if she's really concerned about climbing the ivory tower, many students from syracuse go on to "prestigious" school (again, extremely debatable how valuable that is).

Apr 28, 20 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the post!

Syracuse gives her a NAAB accredited degree, which she'll need if she wants to get licensed, plus, it'll qualify her for "post-professional" masters degrees. Post-professional degrees can be as short as one year and are typically research/theory focused, so she would still be able to pursue the academic route and finish in 6 years (5+1 vs 4+2). The B.Arch also will give her more negotiating power and marketability when looking for a job upon graduation. And it's free given her scholarship ;)

Apr 29, 20 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Archydad

Thanks to all who all who replied. All very useful and assisted her/us in making the final decision. Trouble was she too many great options. I am sure she would excel at each one of them and all were tough to pass up for various reasons. While WashU, UVA and GT would, no doubt, all be great to spend the next four years at, in the end she felt that she fit in best at Syracuse (and as I said, Dean Speaks, Dean Buccina/Dana M. and their team really rose to the challenge during this whole covid-19/virtual admitted days thing like no one else) and committed today. She knows that she always has the option of a post-professional degree at one of the other schools. There are times you wish you be more than one person. Thanks. Go 'Cuse.

May 1, 20 9:43 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: