Archinect
anchor

Help on getting a grasp on research in the architecutre field

andrejsmežinskis

Hi there! I'm a 10th-grade student and for the next year I have to
create a research paper in a subject of my choice. I chose to do mine in
architecture and for now, I'm thinking about looking at the ways of
combining old and new in my home city (Riga) since there are quite a few cases of such thing here. Since, besides a superficial interest in
architecture, I've never done anything like this, my question for you
would be: What would be the best thing to research here (like the ways
that the combining manifests and the tendencies? or maybe something
else) and it would really be amazing if someone could point out any kind of literature about research in the architecture field in general and
maybe something more specific for my case.

Thanks for everything in advance!

Apr 27, 20 1:11 pm
Zulqar

how about comparing exterior finish materials and/ or colors of the old and the new? if you like this idea- you may focus on either residential or commercial, but not both. 

Apr 28, 20 12:10 am  · 
 · 

Maybe examine the parallel between old/new architecture and old/new lifestyles and/or cultures in Riga.  Think about how your grandparents might of lived in the old buildings, and how you live in them now.  How is it different?  There must be a reason why we keep old buildings.  They have something new buildings don't, and vice versa.  How has life changed, or technology, or building methods.  

Apr 28, 20 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Zulqar

this one is interesting too! talking to your or friends' grandparents would offer some clues ...

Apr 28, 20 1:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: