Archinect
anchor

BArch Degree Advice

tbossgoericke

Hello all!

Wondering if anyone may have some advice, recommendations on Architecture Tech degree programs in NY state vs any Arch colleges in the New England area.

Currently, I'm a sophomore at a long island community college finishing my AAS in Arch Tech. Couple things I'm trying to figure out, keeping in mind cost, location, quality of education, as well, if I can continue to work full time, or at least still part-time. (I work full-time now for a high end Hamptons construction company.)

Also,

My fiance and I have been considering moving away from the rush of the Hamptons and have been looking up in New England. Depending on if there are any contending architecture colleges, I would definitely be looking into if they offer discounts for state residents and moving away to complete my degree. Just a matter of if there's any architects/builders in the vicinity to work for. Thankfully, my fiance works from home so he is at my whim ;)

Main question, which I think I know the answer too:

1- Depending on if all my classes transfer, should I complete my AAS or just transfer else wheres to start completing my BArch?

(I spoke with admissions for City who advised to complete my ASS prior to transferring. Only one class wouldn't transfer apparently (Tech Physics).

My considerations as of now,

City College of NY

+The tuition cost for being a NY resident is unbeatable

+Based on reading other forums, the arch program seems to be better than other NY colleges.

-The first 3 years according to admissions would be impossible to work full-time, as the classes are structured mon-thur all day classes.

-Distance, I would have to live part-time in the city which I'm not a fan of.

NYIT (Westbury)

+LOCATION (still a 2 hour drive in rush hour traffic from the hamptons)

+Tuition cost for NY resident and SUNY school

-After reading the archintect academia forum, their program may not be the best, based upon faculty, resources and internship options. (although I don't mind too drastically as I am a very hard-worker and plan on doing majority, if not all my work at home - I live w/ my fiance and have my own home studio.)

-Pretty frustrating personal experience when I attended their drafting certificate program years ago when the prof. unfortunately had a brain aneurysm and the school post poned indefinitely the program. Thankfully this is what lead me to finally pursue a formal degree.

Parsons

+/- Have not researched in depth this college but from what I've read, it seems better or equivalent to City and the cost is less than Pratt, which is far from affordable.

I'm very open to any comments and advice, anything you may have to offer would be beyond appreciated!

This is something I should have pursed when I graduated HS in 2012. Once life started happening, I never believed I would have the opportunity again to not only receive a formal education, but to pursue a a career as an Architect, something that I always wanted to become. So basically, I need to make sure I do this right and consider all options.

Apr 22, 20 7:49 pm
Zulqar

if you want to get licensed, it's a good idea to check with NAAB which one they would accept before enrolling. 

Apr 23, 20 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: