Archinect
anchor

Pratt Institute B.Arch vs Syracuse University B.Arch

Atlanticarch2020

I have been admitted to both Pratt Institute and Syracuse for their architecture programs. I understand that both schools are quite decent universities to study architecture, however, from what I have read they are both very different in their teaching methodologies and campus setting, Pratt being in Brooklyn and Syracuse being in upstate NY.  From what I have heard Pratt is more focused on the artistic aspect of architecture while Syracuse is more technological. I am weighing out the pros and cons however if anyone could inform me further on the ins and outs of each program, that would bee very helpful.

Apr 22, 20 11:35 am
RValu100

Well I got accepted to Syracuse a while back, didn't end up going there but it looked pretty solid. I imagine it would cost less to live in Syracuse. Where would you rather spend 3-5 years of your life? It is more of a factor than it seems. If you are uncomfortable outside the studio you will be even more stressed inside the studio. 

Apr 23, 20 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I was accepted into Syracuse and Pratt for my B.Arch back in 2013. They're both good schools. I ended up going to Syracuse, and I wholeheartedly recommend their Bachelor's program (their M.Arch I and II, not so much). It's up-to-date on technology but it's very much a design-oriented school. You'll be getting a really high-caliber design education at SU. Pratt, I've also heard good things about. Syracuse does give you more freedom of living, since it's a much less expensive city than NYC.

Apr 23, 20 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Fancy1118

I chose between these two schools. Went with Pratt. I wanted to be in NYC and the size of the school was more my style. Both programs are great (I have some close friends working at Syracuse). So I would look at it from a lifestyle choice more. 

Apr 23, 20 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
bauhauz

Congratulations Atlanticarch2020. I've also been accepted to Pratt B.Arch and looking to hear what others think of the program. I'm also curious to see how schools will be handling the Fall semester in the wake of COVID-19.

Apr 24, 20 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
jameslou

I also got accepted to both and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I am trying to decide between pratt and Syracuse. Syracuse has a higher ranking, but Pratt has a better city being located in NYC. My mom wants me to go to Pratt, but Syracuse is a bigger school and seems fun to live in with the basketball team and big parties. Also, I think Pratt is going to have online classes for next year, tough decision, can't decide. I also want to go to Harvard for graduate, which one do I choose?

Apr 28, 20 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Pratt is a much better school and far better connected, but Syracuse is way cheaper, both in tuition and cost of living. Pratt is not ‘artistic’ per se more technical and conceptual. It is however part of an art school as opposed to a typical rounded university, so you’ll be somewhat entrenched in that environment when it comes to peers outside the architecture school, not that you’ll be spending much time outside of studio in either case.
Apr 29, 20 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: