Archinect
anchor

Master of Architecture Portfolio Review

zeushimself

Hello! Could people please review my portfolio for admission to an Master of Architecture program. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome!

https://issuu.com/tannerulrich...

Apr 21, 20 11:40 pm
Zulqar

looks cool!

the fine prints could be annoying to the old professors. you could try to use larger fonts and spread all over to convey the message more clearly.

Apr 22, 20 1:11 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Thanks for the feedback!

Apr 22, 20 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Haha Hadude

Where are you thinking of applying?

Apr 22, 20 1:17 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Honestly any school I can get into in Canada lol. UBC, McGill, U of T, Carleton

Apr 22, 20 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Haha Hadude

I'm going to paste this here because the reply formatting is shit at best.

I don't know much about Canadian schools, but I have seen some great work come out of those schools. So, I would say that you do have work to do. 

1. I'm not a huge fan of the cover. I think the minimal approach is good, but it feels a little uninspired right now. I would say just try different cover options based on the portfolios that really you love. Make it feel elegant. Look at some Architect monographs. And in general for the whole portfolio, don't worry a whole lot about the text because it may not be read anyway, but it should be treated as a graphic block in your layout. I would not go larger in font as suggested above. 
  2. contents page is fine. personally I would center on the right page, but thats up to you. 
  3. page 4 - the site and images need to go away. I would replace those images with one very crisp line drawing of the site. the images you have in there right now look amateur. I like the render on 5 though, looks good.
  4. page 8 & 10 - clean up your model edges and even oilcanning on the model with photoshop.
  5. page 12 project - you could develop this much further, but before you do that take out that paper texture and blue torn edge color blocking. its not doing your presentation any favors.
  6. page 18 project - clean up those models in photoshop.
  7. I would get rid of everything after page 25 except for the acoustic panel project. create more drawings for this, more diagrams etc..
  8. and minor but the thank you page/back cover - the thank you should be smaller and closer to the bottom-middle of the page. Also you might add your information below that in smaller font.

This is a start, but I think you have at least a few months of work that needs to go into this. update us on the next iteration, and good luck

Apr 23, 20 12:05 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Hey I really appreciate the detailed feedback, thank you so much! In what way are you saying I should clean up the models? The reason I'm asking is because I unfortunately don't have all the models anymore because I had to move home to another country and couldn't bring everything so I was left with just the bad pictures I took after I finished building them, obviously my fault completely lol

Apr 23, 20 2:44 am  · 
 · 
Haha Hadude

No problem. Just take those photos of the models in your portfolio and cover up the glue spots, uneven cuts, major imperfections, etc.. For example - the photo on page 8, if you were to edit the bottom edge, that is touching the surface it's on, it would look more cleanly built. check out the clone stamp in photoshop if you haven't used that yet. easy, quick way to edit things.

Apr 23, 20 2:57 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Okay yeah I'm familiar with that tool, I'll definitely touch them up some, thanks again!

Apr 23, 20 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: