Archinect
anchor

Should I go international to study for architecture

vick

Hey I'm 17 years old and from Wisconsin and I've been pretty set on being an architect for years.  I know there are so many cons but I'm seriously determined to become an architect.  I just have no clue what to do for college because my options are all insanely expensive.  Basically for in-state I could only go to UW Madison, UW Milwaukee, and University of Minnesota (which is kinda what I'm leaning towards but I change my mind a ton).  I've looked into many out of state schools but they are all obviously mad expensive (probably cheapest out of state option for architecture is Cal Poly? mainly because they're program is 4 years).  Now I've started looking into some international schools.  This one in Pecs Hungary looks nice and is very very cheap.  There seems to be quite a bit of Europe options and my question is will I be able to get a job after that? Once I move out of the US I probably won't be back so I'll work in Europe but are there more opportunities for architects in Europe?  I know many people move over there to pursue architecture, but would it be smart for me to go there for University as well?  And does anyone have any suggestions for a good school that teaches in English for architecture literally anywhere that isn't expensive?

Apr 21, 20 7:01 pm
Zulqar

very good question Vick!

read this article published in Archdaily magazine to get an idea about architects' future in general but specifically for the British market https://www.archdaily.com/118441/what-will-the-architecture-profession-look-like-in-2025

do not get discouraged by the article though. make sure you read this part in the article- “In order to compete against the cheaper workforces from the emerging markets and the financially savvy mega consultancies, the architect must learn to speak the language of the client particularly to become financially literate.  In addition to financial literacy, the client-savvy architect must be able to see beyond ‘building a building’ and offer a service that embraces the client’s broader aims – becoming a problem solver as well as a designer.”

one can study architecture anywhere in the world, but i think work opportunity/ wages are better in the US. but make sure the foreign degree will be accepted by NAAB/ NCARB for licensing, if you like to get one.

Apr 22, 20 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: