Archinect
anchor

Transferring from a Community college to Cal Poly?

randaaziz

I missed the deadlines for fall applications as far as uc and cal-states go. So i decided to go to a cc and then transfer to Cal Poly or any other uc/cal-state?

1. Whats the best cc that cal poly accept transfer credits? 

2. would anyone recommend another route or have any advice as far as applying to universities and cal-states go? 

3.Whats the best way to build up a portfolio to catch these universities attention?

Thank You.

Apr 15, 20 12:25 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 3 Comments

zonker

depends on where you live.

In the Bay Area, Diablo Valley in Antioch is good. Laney in Oakland. I went to Bakersfield College, and it's good for transfer to Cal Poly SLO

Apr 15, 20 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

Hi randaaziz!

If you're set on Cal Poly, your best bet is to ask them what community colleges most of their transfer students come from and if they have any articulation agreements with CCs. To build your portfolio you'll want to enroll in a solid CC architecture program and use your work completed there to build a nice portfolio.

I was actually in your shoes way back. I applied to universities for architecture, but didn't get accepted, so I went to CC for two years, built up a nice portfolio and learned a ton. I transferred into my B.Arch and graduated 3 years later. Same time frame of five years, I learned way more and made more connections.

Keep on going, it's not the end, and you have many paths forward. Good luck!

Apr 15, 20 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
randaaziz

Thank you so much for your reply. I highly appreciate it.

Apr 16, 20 2:06 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If you can't get into a CC (or you are doing it just to build experience because you KNOW you want to go to SLO for architecture) then maybe consider taking some select CC classes as suggested above but also finding a gig working at a firm part-time to help with whatever they need. I know timing is tough but it would probably let you learn more than just CC.

Apr 17, 20 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: