Archinect
anchor

Architecture School: Am I gaming the system?

stone_foundation

The basis of this post is to inquire about what one should be doing in architecture school and if success in school means anything once one steps beyond it.

I'm a good student and attend a respected school in the US. Inquisitive, test the boundaries, explore and question with my projects. Take design criteria and project briefs with a grain of salt and pursue what I'm interested in and what the project seems to want to be about. My projects turn out well and generate good critical discussions. I work hard, but keep a strict schedule and never come close to pulling all nighters.

However, some of my friends and peers produce what I think are, phenomenal projects. They work their asses off, staying behind well after I finish for the day. Their drawings are gorgeous and from my point of view they are much better students than I. Their work is a constant source of inspiration and it seems they should be doing far better in school than myself.

But then we get together and discuss marks and how crits went. They consistently seem to get lower marks and have less enthusiastic critiques. If you put our projects on a wall next to each other, surely nearly everyone would gravitate towards one of theirs. They tick all the boxes on the assignment briefs and do so with stunning work. In the end, why am I getting the better feedback? Is my methodology of taking everything with a grain of salt and pursuing what I'm interested in instead of what the brief says actually what we're supposed to be doing in school?  I honestly feel like I'm cheating somehow and my talented peers are going unrecognized for their work. Is what I'm doing going to even benefit my future career? Or am I just gaming some imaginary architecture school world and very soon will crash hard on my face once I set out after graduation?  

Especially curious to hear from anyone who teaches and has some insight into architectural education. The school has a good mix of technical components. None of us are doing extremely theoretical work.  Our latest projects required numerous sections and details drawn at 1/2"=1'-0" to 6"=1'-0" so I don't think its due to some projects erring more to the theoretical vs realistic side. We all must come to terms and show how the project could be built.

Apr 13, 20 3:38 pm
flatroof

A good teacher can see through the veneer of pretty renders and find a bad design programatically, structurally, contextually etc.

Apr 13, 20 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

You know what, that's an excellent point. I've never presented a polished render. Always collage or experiential.

Apr 14, 20 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you're not gaming anything.  You've found a good balance, perhaps with fewer iterations, while your peers are killing themselves. Find what makes your process work for you and keep working on that.  

Apr 13, 20 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

Thanks for the comment. I actually iterate a lot, to the point of professors bring up how fast I can produce multiple options. Maybe that's part of what is working for me...maybe it's that exploration.  Some classmates definitely come up with an idea or form very early in the semester and their final pin-up looks the exact same, albeit way more polished.

Apr 14, 20 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

nope, you're doing things just right. if you feel like you're not pushing yourself, target something specific to do better in your next design and ask for feedback.

if you respect your professors as architects then trust their feedback. and if you don't, the problem isn't you it's the school, look for a better mentor.

architecture is a craft - patience and reliability are valuable qualities in an employee or on your own.

if you really feel you're gaming the system doing this, read up on "imposter syndrome." it's something many excellent people encounter and it holds them back.

Apr 14, 20 7:06 am  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

Definitely respect my professors. Many of them have been fantastic mentors. Also think I definitely push myself, especially this semester. I was going crazy at times trying to work things out. Never heard of imposter syndrome will look into that.

Apr 14, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Too many students work to impress their respective instructors - trying to guess what their personal preferences are and aiming to create work that checks the most boxes. The work, while technically accomplished, tend to lack style and individual expression. In a way, this is more jaded and cynical - One is selling to a targeted audience, as professional commercial practices would to a developer client. But there is the risk of competing not on one's strengths but that of competitors.

Then there are students who want to have a good time and learn something new in the process. This could be a tougher challenge as they have to figure out their own project and really take ownership of the work and its genesis. Finding a balance is key. There are objective criteria to be met but I don't think school is the right place to kowtow to every imaginary "client" whim.

Apr 14, 20 8:31 am  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

You make a great point. Some classmates definitely have the thought process of: "I have X studio professor so I need to produce Y for them." Always found that weird. Thanks for the comment.

Apr 14, 20 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
square.

a studio that produces work that mimics an instructor's aesthetic is in an indication of a bad teacher; it's the difference between making students and cult members.

Apr 14, 20 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Some option studio professors have their own very distinctive visual style e.g. KGDVS, CJ Lim. I guess students who want to take their studios are already heavily influenced by their graphics, if not process. I do recall hearing about one case where students had to use office standards from the instructor's own practice in order to produce a consistent-looking compendium.

Apr 14, 20 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

@square.

Definitely agree, luckily that does not seem to happen at my school.

@monosierra

It makes sense for students to take studios with professors whose work they admire. Forcing students into a particular graphic standard seems weird though.

Apr 17, 20 9:22 am  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

You make a great point.  Some classmates definitely have the thought process of: "I have X studio professor so I need to produce Y for them."  Always found that weird.  Thanks for the comment.

Apr 14, 20 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Sometimes that is driven by the teacher. I had more than a few instructors who were unable and unwilling to engage students who did not produce work aligned with the instructor's preferred aesthetic.

Apr 14, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Indeed, some 'sponsored' studios also come with the instuctor's obligation to produce exhibition-worthy work for the corporate or institutional sponsor. But students who opt for these studios earn the opportunity to be exhibited in a large, sometimes prestigious, setting. Downside is effectively working for the instructor.

Apr 14, 20 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Wow, we didn't have those in my day. Who exactly pockets the sponsor's money? The school? I don't imagine the students get any of it.

Apr 14, 20 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

well the students go on paid trips abroad for the studio so I guess the sponsors pays for that at the very least.

Apr 14, 20 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

@thisisnotmyname

That sounds like a terrible professor who shouldn't be teaching.

@monosierra

Never heard of a sponsored studio either.  Strange concept.

Apr 17, 20 9:24 am  · 
 · 

Hey stone_foundation,

Looks like you've already got some great responses from out community. You're doing great. Your time in school isn't necessarily an indication of how successful you'll be upon graduation. There are many other factors that will go into your candidacy for a job and rendering ability is one small aspect. 

The more important questions are how you think about problems? What is your personality like? Can you build on criticism? Are you a team player? Tons of things will go into your future success. It sounds like you are navigating school perfectly. I think it's worrisome if a student is always trying to please their professor or have the "best" project.

Explore what interests you, but also be open to critique and feedback. It is a balancing act. You might dig these two articles:

Apr 14, 20 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
stone_foundation

Thanks for the insight Sean. I suppose I try to have the best project for myself and not anyone else. I'll keep doing that.

Also, thanks for the articles.  Great reads!

Apr 17, 20 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: