Archinect
anchor

UPenn Prerequisites Online?

Archlandia

This is parallel with my online research, but I hope someone has some personal experience they can share with me. There some other threads on here about this, but none of them that I read through, end in confirmation about what I’m trying to do.

Has anyone personally used an online course to fulfill calculus or physics prereqs for Penn’s M.Arch program? People online are saying to use straighterline, edX, etc... but has anyone successfully matriculated using these courses? I’ve contacted the school, but considering everything that’s going on, things are moving slow right now and haven’t gotten the answers I’m looking for. What I’ve heard back so far is that “any college level course will suffice if the course titles are congruent with prerequisite courses”. My fear is that I take these type of courses and during a review of my credentials the school decides that they are not sufficient. On the other hand, I spend $3000 on online hybrid courses that I know will count, but end up having to spend more hours than I have available in the physical classroom.

Anyone have recommendations for online prereqs that do qualify; or other options that would suit my situation? I’m working full-time right now so I don’t have time for two courses on a physical campus.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 18, 20 2:57 am
chuckluck

Hey dude, I asked Penn the exact same question when I was thinking of applying months ago and this was what they wrote in response:

"Thank you for your email and interest in applying to our Master of Architecture program! I’m glad to see that you are already thinking about fulfilling the prerequisites. Yes, the Straighterline courses in physics and calculus fulfill those prerequisites."

Should be no problem :)

Mar 18, 20 3:31 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Thanks Chuck!
Mar 18, 20 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Michael.Willhoit

In my undergrad I took a course that fulfilled my physics requirement, but Penn needed to see proof of that with a syllabus because the course wasn't explicitly labeled "Physics 101". I called the admissions office on Thursday and they said they'll need to review the class, but if it counted towards my graduation then it might also count for them. Still awaiting a response which is pretty understandable.

Did you just not do a physics or calc class in undergrad, or did you take a class that wasn't explicitly labeled as such on your transcript? If it's the latter you may be able to contact the prerequisite email in their decision letter and notify them that you took a class that satisfied the requirement for your Bachelor's. Might save you some time and money.

Mar 19, 20 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Thanks Michael. I only took a structures course in undergrad, and they said that they likely wouldn't be able to accept that for physics courses. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, so rather than take courses like calc and physics to graduate, I took courses like language and sculpture.

Mar 20, 20 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Just FYI, in the event that they do not take your course from undergrad (hope they do!) they do indeed accept straighterline courses which you could take for less than $150 if you use a coupon from online. I used a coupon code 'info50' and it saved me $50

Mar 20, 20 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: