Archinect
anchor

TU Delft 2020

Lostboy1

Hey, all. I've been accepted to TU Delft's MSc Architecture track (2020-22), and am looking for other people in the same boat as me.

Also - I'm interested in hearing your perspective on the course and TU Delft. My understanding is that it is as academically rigorous at par with the best in the world (GSD?) with great facilities and teachers/ professors. Is this a fair assessment, or a rosy picture generated by their marketing department?

Mar 16, 20 10:20 am
mo95

hahaha, I am in the same boat with you (but B.T track). Ironically enough, I'm asking the same question.

Mar 16, 20 11:12 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

Hey, congrats on your offer. Could you share your application portfolio please?

Apr 10, 20 6:20 am  · 
 · 
meitartewel

Congrats to you both! I'm also aiming for the architecture track, but still waiting for their response (been a month since submitting the application). Hope to join your boat soon (right now I'm on a kayak of solitude and uncertainty). Are you guys from the EU? How long did it take you to get a response?

Mar 16, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Lostboy1

meitartewel; I'm an international student from Asia, and applied on 31/12/19 -- heard back on 11/03/20. Hopefully you'll hear from them soon, the uncertainty can be a bitch. 

My second question in the original post was prompted by the realization that international students pay a lot more than their EU counterparts (which compared to the US is still a bargain, but is still a significant factor for me)

Mar 16, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
meitartewel

Mar 16, 20 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
meitartewel

blah I wrote something and it was deleted. ANYWAY, I hear you about the finances, that's the main reason I didn't even bother applying to US schools. I do know that Delft is very highly ranked (top 5 worldwide if I'm not mistaken), and I know some students, graduates and former professors there - they were all very happy with their experience there.

Mar 16, 20 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Nonononotme

Hello! Congratulations on your admittance! I was also admitted to MSc Architecture Track 2020-22 last week as well. 

I applied to Delft is essentially to find and explore the Dutch school of architecture. I guess the + points of Delft are 

1) its close engagement with Berlage

2) practical knowledge of buildings - i think most schools are too uptight with theory that they went overboard too often, losing sight of what's real. Looking at the thesis/student projects from https://www.tudelft.nl/en/education/programmes/masters/architecture-urbanism-and-building-sciences/msc-architecture-urbanism-and-building-sciences/master-tracks/architecture/programme/studios/ i can get a grasp of what will be taught. 

3) BIG MODELS

4) nice facility

5) Thesis

I wouldn't weigh too much from rankings... they can often be biased based on factors such as methodologies of the ranking system (qs uses quantity of research), number of response (hence why small excellent schools like princeton is at an unreasonable 36 in QS world ranking, bleh. they only admit 12 students each year), but most importantly they don't necessarily reflect your deepest interests. Say MIT is currently number 1 in the ranking, but most of their thesis are deep research in architecture processes rather than building projects. Would one prefer to do scientific research or design buildings?

Now, I also applied to GSD and got rejected (bummed lol). But from what I saw, comparing the two would be ... hard? lengthwise, Delft is 2 years and GSD is 3.5 years so one will be able to see how deep (maybe even isolated) into the academia more than the practice. the instagram account gsd.during.corona are doing occasional live streams of class reviews. And you can sort of see how they deal mostly with academia while touching slightly on practice and things outside of architecture. Academia is cool, I'd also want to teach more than practice, but what's greater I think is when one succeeds in practice and then travel around the world giving lectures here and there.

Now similarities between the two. Talking to one student in Delft, she said that the admit to Delft is ~80 / year. GSD is also ~60-80 / year. So this relatively small size really filters out students and expose you to the best peers you can find from around the world. Both schools emphasize model making, have great facilities, great lectures coming in and out. 

Comparing the faculty members is what I did as well. Skimming through Delft, I hardly have heard most of them. Skimming through GSD, i have heard/listened to lectures from some of them, but still, I don't know most of them. Personally, I came to a conclusion that me knowing some or no faculty members doesn't really matter, as long as when I get to know them, I learnt a lot. I think both schools have excellent faculty members.

Now if I take all those information out, and ask a stranger have you heard of harvard? most likely yes. asking a stranger have you heard of Delft? can be a bit tricky. My point is, when one tries to collaborate/convince people from other fields, the familiarity/prestige of one's credentials sometimes matter. But then it all cancels out when we haven't had any manifestation of personal ambition that we do out of our own desire/drive outside of school/work, essentially in our own time.

I'd be happy to know your thoughts when comparing the schools!

P.S. personal ranking of schools based on personal interests - not based on finance etc etc :

1) Princeton

2) GSD

3) Delft

4) Yokohama GSA 

5) MIT

6) Bartlett

7) Yale

8) Columbia

Mar 16, 20 8:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Lostboy1

This is a great summary Wuhuuu. Are you planning on accepting the offer to TUD?

Mar 17, 20 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Lostboy1

I mostly concur with what you've said Wuhuuu -- especially about the MIT vs TUD gap (scientific/ tech. research vs. 'design'). This is relevant because I note that QS has TUD in second place after MIT in architecture/ built environment in the 2020 rankings. -- I share your misgivings about the methodologies/ veracity of the rankings.

As for GSD -- apart from the 'harvard' brand value: my sense is that they have a much more diverse, interesting bunch of people teaching than TUD; although there is a significant tendency towards a theory-heavy pedagogy like you've pointed out. And anyway, since I've too been rejected, it is probably moot talking about it haha :P

meitartewel here mentioned that TUD is respected in EU arch firms, at par with the GSD/ Yale bunch. I would like to ask you/ anybody in the forum if they can corroborate?

Mar 17, 20 9:13 am  · 
 · 
ashlonfrank

Hello everyone, I just got my acceptance into the Berlage Post masters in architecture and urbanism for 2020. I have known about the MSc in Architecture and Urbanism, and I think most of what's been discussed in the thread is already relevant. Another interesting aspect of Delft I think is that it's so huge, and with so many facilities it's quite rewarding and also can be overwhelming. 

I applied to berlage because I was very interested in their contextual approach to design problems, and the fact that the students are put in a group and the projects or themes are based on their backgrounds. 

What do you guys think of the Berlage? Any suggestions/recommendations? 

Apr 9, 20 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Berlage is more of a cash cow for the school and mostly a networking opportunity for the students than anything else. Still, should be good fun if you can afford it...

Apr 10, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ashlonfrank

Hello randomised. Thank you for your reply. I saw your comments on the other TU delft threads and learnt that you studied there.

Apr 12, 20 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
ashlonfrank

I got a good idea about how the MSc program since there is a lot spoken about it in other threads . Where do you think the Berlage lies in comparison to the MSc?

Apr 12, 20 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
ashlonfrank

Just to mention, I am an international applicant so the fees for both the programs/ semester is pretty much the same. The overall cost would be lesser in Berlage since its 3 sems.

Apr 12, 20 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Berlage is a post-master degree, can’t really compare them. It’s the difference between preparing for a job or for building a career, or something...

Apr 29, 20 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 
turanziaiemehr

Hi guys! which was/is your application status on the OSIRIS platfrom? I can't really understand it, there are these indicators:

• Arrange your payment (with a yellow (!))
  • Personal details verified (with a green (v))
  • Yes, matching not required / Yes, mandatory matching completed for bachelor Applied Physics or Electrical Engineering (with a green (v))
Apr 29, 20 10:25 am  · 
 · 
JT95

Hello! Congratulations on your admittance!

I also received my acceptance letter to TU Delft's MSc Architecture track (2020-22) on Friday, and it says I need to submit my Confirmation Statement on Monday (1st June). The issue I am having is when I log into Osiaan, there isn't an option anywhere to submit a confirmation statement.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem? or anyone knows how where I can submit my confirmation letter?

May 30, 20 4:09 pm  · 
1  · 

I am having the exact same problem! I also received the email on Friday evening, Is good to know I am not the only one. There is no way to contact them cause is withsun and the uni will be closed on Monday. I guess they unofficially moved the deadline... I sent an email to the mail on the admission letter to explain the problem and say that I would like to accept the seat that was offered to me. At least is something...

May 30, 20 4:46 pm  · 
1  · 
JT95

I also thought I was the only one having this issue. I emailed them screenshots of the issue and received a automatic reply saying they will reply in 5 days, possibly more. By then I fear it may be too late. I will try sending another email accepting the offer aswell!

May 30, 20 5:02 pm  · 
1  · 
JT95

When did you submit your application? I submitted the last day (1st April) so I am hoping the portal will update on the 1st June. Let me know if you manage to submit or hear anything back from the uni!

May 30, 20 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

31st March, if that's tight tomorrow I should receive some news, but I don't know, I'm extremely confused... However there is another person with the same problem, I spoke to him on reddit. I guess they messed it up with all the last accepted ones

May 30, 20 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
JT95

It is slightly comforting to know it's happening to other people as well, and hopefully the confirmation deadline will be extended slightly. Thanks for letting me know! Update me tomorrow if you receive any news! Good luck!

May 30, 20 5:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Hi! here there is another conversation about the same issue, have a look!

May 31, 20 4:07 am  · 
 · 
SpaceSyntax_fse

Hi everyone, I am an Asian student, 25, looking forward to get into the field almost immediately after masters.  I was accepted to the MSc program with Track Urbanism at TU, and the MSAUD at Columbia for Fall 2021.
Personally, I am heavily invested in the cross of Landscape, Architecture, Urbanism and Management. Being an international applicant,  I’m not sure which prospect is actually better.  It’s  been an extremely tough decision to make. Any suggestions? 

May 11, 21 12:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: