Archinect
anchor

TU Delft Architecture​ program rejection feedback

szu-yinhuang

Hi guys,

I just receive a letter from Delft university and got rejected to their MSc Architecture program, the letter mentioned the following reasons:

- The Selection Committee considers the quality of your portfolio insufficient.
- The application does not sufficiently demonstrate its architectural character and quality. The application does not
demonstrate sufficient knowledge of architectural typology and composition. The application does not demonstrate
sufficient knowledge of applied building technology.

I'v tried my best to add projects in different scales and content, most of them are my school works since I just graduated from collage and only have few professional experience as an intern, I would like to ask for your honestly feedback on my portfolio on how I can improve for next time application.You can view my portfolio here (prefer view on desktop), I really appreciate your help!

sincerely,

Mar 3, 20 8:35 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

yimingyang

the requirement of portfolio is that you cannot exceed 30 single-page...

Mar 3, 20 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

Yes, I do know the requirements of Pages limit,I sent just 30pages portfolio during my application ,the link shows 59 pages (due to Issuu’s Lay-out I have to cut the pages in half)

I think this might not be the reason for their rejection, thanks for reminding though:)

Mar 4, 20 12:48 am  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

Yes, I do know the requirements of Pages limit,I sent just 30pages portfolio during my application ,the link shows 59 pages (due to Issuu’s Lay-out I have to cut the pages in half)

I think this might not be the reason for their rejection, thanks for reminding though:)

Mar 4, 20 12:40 am  · 
 · 
yimingyang

okay...actually some of my friends got rejection from tud, and the reason is basically some of the above four points. from my point of view, i think your portfolio is more about landscape and urban resilience, rather than architecture, especially the former ones. and the tud style is more concern about arch tectonics and building tech, you know, the opposition of ucl...(just kidding. btw, i'm still waiting for the result, so just some views from a passerby, and good luck with your application!

Mar 4, 20 1:00 am  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

Good luck for yours too:)

Mar 4, 20 3:15 am  · 
 · 
gksrnrdls

what...? Did they announce the result? I didn't get anything from them

Mar 4, 20 5:21 am  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

I received the E-Mail yesterday ,you’ll probably get it shortly, good luck!

Mar 4, 20 5:57 am  · 
 · 
mitcheldvrolijk

Portfolio looks great honestly. The amount of applications for TU Delft has gone through the roof I heard.

Mar 4, 20 6:01 am  · 
2  · 
szu-yinhuang

Oh..guess I have bad luck

Mar 4, 20 8:13 am  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

Do you know if there’s any preference type of images or drawings the committees might want to see,Detail drawing,sketchs,Design process..or anything else?I would like to know how to fix it next year..

Mar 4, 20 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
mr.robot

Hi

Few suggestions;

i. Tu delft is a technical university and they expect you to show the same through the drawings.

ii. Your projects are more diverse but do not say anything about who you are. All of your projects must compile together and say something about you like sustainability. Also indirectly these should be related to your SOP.  

iii.  I think you should collect all your projects and find commons in the style of architecture - your style. Then you must show the design process in each project. 

iv. Also, be as close to the requirements as mentioned on their website. Like page limit. things to write in descriptions for each project. Everything matters, 

v. Add scales, North and dimentions to drawings and make them readable and dont put too much info on each sheet. Think of each sheet as a new sheet and try to give 1 interesting thing on each one. It could be graphics, models, some views - post digitals.

I think you have good projects, all you need to do is compile them in a better graphics and explanation.

All the best

Mar 4, 20 10:54 am  · 
2  · 
szu-yinhuang

Now I have the clue of my defects and mistakes I made this year.. I'll work on those points and give it a try next time.Thanks for your honestly and amply reply Mr.robot.

Mar 5, 20 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
ashlonfrank

Hello, I think what mr. robot mentions really sums up what the admission committee might need.

Apr 9, 20 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
ashlonfrank

The SOP and the portfolio relation is something that gets missed out in a lot of applications.

Apr 9, 20 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 
brookrb

Your portfolio looks great. I've also been rejected for the second year in a row, even after requesting additional feedback on my portfolio and tailoring my portfolio to that feedback. 

I believe it's truly just so many people applying there. I would request additional feedback if you are going to hold off for a year, but I would recommend expanding your search. I did this year and I got into Pratt in Brooklyn. Waiting to hear back from 6 or 7 schools though still.

Mar 5, 20 11:40 am  · 
2  · 
szu-yinhuang

Do you write to Delft's admission office for addition feedback through their Examination appeals board? Congrats!Pratt sounds like a nice choice:) I'm also waiting for others to reply or maybe I'll try some other university next year .Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mar 5, 20 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
brookrb

I wouldn’t write to the repeal board. I’m pretty sure you only write to them if you think some illegal took place. I would write to their international admissions email and request for additional feedback on your portfolio and why you were rejected. It takes about 2 weeks for them to get back and I thought it was good feedback. The rejection letter you got is the default.

Mar 5, 20 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
brookrb

I wouldn’t write to the repeal board. I’m pretty sure you only write to them if you think some illegal took place. I would write to their international admissions email and request for additional feedback on your portfolio and why you were rejected. It takes about 2 weeks for them to get back and I thought it was good feedback. The rejection letter you got is the default.

Mar 5, 20 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

Got it! Thanks:)

Mar 6, 20 12:23 am  · 
 · 
hbassal

I wish the GSD would be this transparent with rejection reasons!

Mar 5, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

How was the rejection letter from GSD like?Do they just give a yes or no?

Mar 5, 20 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal

Yes, we regret to inform you we can’t offer you admission, and they also say something about not being able to admit everyone and among those rejected some are very strong candidates

Apr 9, 20 6:34 pm  · 
1  · 

The portfolio looks good, but there could be some other things that you aren't showing that they want to see given their remarks about knowledge of architectural typology and composition and applied building technology. You communicate your work well and the graphics look nice, BUT your weaker projects take away from the portfolio.

I'm not sure what you included in the application, but sticking only to your strongest work is usually the best approach. Don't include anything that you aren't 200 percent proud of and happy with.

Were there any other aspects to the application apart from the portfolio that tested your architectural knowledge?

And, as with any school application process, these things can become quite arbitrary when application submissions are very high. Have you tried asking the school for more feedback? Perhaps even an admissions counselor?

Apr 9, 20 6:15 pm  · 
1  · 
szu-yinhuang

Thank you for your reply:) I do ask for additional feedback from Delft and here's their reply:

Apr 13, 20 1:27 am  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

The portfolio does not demonstrate your architectural skills and knowledge adequately enough. Further, the elaboration in materials and building technology is not presented sufficiently. We hope this information helps you understand the reasons for your rejection better.

Apr 13, 20 1:27 am  · 
 · 
szu-yinhuang

also I'v just got another offer from UK( Emtech program at AA), still struggling if I should go or not..Do you have any idea that which one is the better option?

Apr 13, 20 1:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: