Archinect
anchor

Youth Centre model for Technology GCSEs

IH_813

Hi,

I'm looking for people who'd be able to give practical, aesthetic or architectural feedback on a model for a Youth Centre, that I've designed for my GCSEs. Pictures are below:

Thank you!

Mar 3, 20 2:00 pm
Non Sequitur
  • where are the stairs? 
  • what considerations have you given to context, solar orientation, material pallet?
  • what is the purpose of the narrow triangle room?
  • not enough time for a roof?
  • A+ for using hot pink

Mar 3, 20 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
IH_813

1- I didn't have the time or 3D/laser cutting skills to make a set of stairs, have included a lift in design, but didn't know how to represent that

Mar 5, 20 7:16 am  · 
 · 
IH_813

Sorry for that comment, I tried to edit it and failed, after sending prematurely, I'll finish it here.

Thank you for your response! I'm not sure if you were intending a reply, but if so:

2- The design is set to be placed on a main street in a town, and I hadn't considered the solar orientation (though I'll look into that now) I'm sorry to be a bother, but I don't have any prior architectural knowledge, what's a material pallet? I've chosen which materials it'd be built in if it was realised if that's what it is?

3- It's to serve as a multi-purpose/extracurricular space, staff areas, and some as storage rooms. It hadn't been originally designed into a rectangle before I decided to put it on a street, but I wanted to keep the hexagon interior, so I fitted it inside

4- I wanted to keep the top open to show the interior, as well as stopping it being too dark inside. I do have a small section of flat roof to put on the edge though

Mar 5, 20 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, thanks for the response. The reply feature is a little wonky here. As for the intent of my questions: 

1. Circulation (corridors, stairs and elevators) are very important when laying out spaces. Ignoring them, or discarding them as only necessary is a failure to fully understand how your building functions. pro-tip, I used to crucify students (1st & 2nd year university) when they used the "I did not have time" excuse during presentations. You always have time.
  2. Location relative to the street and neighbourhood is important but so is direction of the building.  You need to consider views and solar orientation, not just put square windows on a wall.  Material palet is your choice of finishes  purple and pink plastic is not a typical finish.  Did you use those colours to signify something or is it just because you had those sheets available?
  3. See point 1 above about the importance of understanding the intent of your space.
  4. Why a flat roof?  Waste of an opportunity for something.  Light wells? Skylight? Open courtyard? Patio?  Why cheap-out and do the bare minimum?

Something to think about.  Cheers

Mar 5, 20 8:35 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i had to look up GSCE - it appears this is a high school diploma, so you haven't studied architecture or design in any university yet, correct?

in that case my comment would be this shows a nice sense of color and interest in style, and it's built with enough attention to detail to show someone who is organized and competent in planning a task.

if you have studied architecture i'd be more critical, since it clearly lacks consideration of basic functional requirements of structure, circulation, materials, site planning, context. also it's totally unaware of trends and norms of design in contemporary practice - which is fine if that's the image you want to present as a designer.

what are you trying to learn by getting comments from us? I'd say this looks like the work of a curious amateur who cares about craft and detail. If you're hoping to study architecture later this shows an adequate interest; though the emphasis on patterns, colors and furniture make it seem like you might be more interested in interior design (which can be done within an architecture career)

Mar 5, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 
IH_813

Hi, yes, you are right, I haven't studied any architecture or design, and this is the first time I have attempted a project of building design, so I was expecting it to not be anything like what most people probably post about here.

The reason I'm using this site to get feedback is because I need to complete an evaluation of my project that requires Testing and Trialling, and as I can't trial this in reality, I wanted to ask people who have knowledge about these sorts of things, this site being an example. I've had another comment about the architectural criteria you mentioned, so will include that, as I wasn't aware of quite how much I'd missed with this! Thank you for your response though, I really appreciate it!

Also, I am not currently considering an architectural course in the future, but am interested in building design and the like, albeit casually, which is why I chose this project.

Mar 10, 20 6:16 am  · 
 · 
midlander

ok then good luck!

Mar 10, 20 8:46 am  · 
 · 
anaisziwei

Oh, I saw ur same post on another forum!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6382590

But, anyway, for GCSE levels this is a good job. Just continue and do well in A-levels. GCSE is Junior High equivalent in US, so u are still pretty "Far" away from the real deal in University...

Mar 11, 20 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: