Archinect
anchor

How do you deal with your tutor taking an instant dislike on you?

Kinsbergen

I am 27 and attending graduate school in Europe. Before that I worked for a few years at some large firms.

One of my classes at school is taught by a middle aged professor who is also a practising architect.

From the very first class, I realised that the guy took an instant dislike on me. Sometimes he looks disturbed when I am speaking to him or stares at me with an awkward / annoyed look. 

I honestly don't know what I've done wrong here, as I am always on time, I participate a lot in the class and bring quality work every time.

I am concerned that my grades are going to suffer regardless of my actual performance, so I am looking for some advice on how to deal with this.

What do you think?

Feb 24, 20 3:48 pm
thisisnotmyname

I had similar experiences on two separate occasions in undergrad.  I'm not quite sure what motivated their dislike, but I certainly know both instructors took every opportunity they could find to lower my grade.  

If at all possible, change instructors immediately.

Feb 24, 20 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

or... it's all in your head.

Feb 24, 20 4:50 pm  · 
On the fence

Sometimes in life you will find that you need to learn how to deal with people who do not agree with you nor like you.

Feb 24, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

That's a given. The case is that this person is marking my portfolio and there is nothing I can do, since I didn't do anything wrong in the first place to generate their dislike. On the other hand, I am a very strong student and always have been.

Feb 24, 20 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Is your work and quality as a student drastically less than you've convinced yourself it to be? Perhaps this is the answer.

Feb 24, 20 7:03 pm  · 
rsrs

Oh fuck off troll.

Feb 24, 20 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

there ain't no trolls here.

Feb 24, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
rsrs

Oh please, go back tο your mum schoolboy.

Feb 24, 20 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

really? Ok there wanker. My question above was legitimate. I've seen plenty of students think they were getting the short end of the stick by their studio profs while all it was in the end was that they were just OK students with a un-naturally high opinion of their work.

Feb 24, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
rsrs

That's just your autistic perception. Now go away little boy.

Feb 24, 20 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’m fine. Thank you.

Feb 24, 20 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
rsrs

If your instructor shows he/she is not font of you I would advise you to change to a different studio group ASAP. This could greatly impact your studies. Is this a semester only class or are we speaking of a thesis instructor? 

Feb 24, 20 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

It's a semester project, but still one that I have to take in order to complete all the credits required.

Feb 26, 20 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

talk to him directly and firmly. if you feel at all threatened set up a meeting with him in a visible meeting room. you don't give much evidence for your feelings her, but tell him you feel he regards you differently and you expect fair treatment in class. if he has any concerns ask him to send you an email which you can discuss after having time to review.

i had a difficult boss once early in my career who was unnecessarily aggressive and hostile with me in the office. after a couple days resenting it, i came in early one morning and waited for him to get in and get settled in his office then walked in and asked him directly if there is a problem with my work, that i expected professional treatment from him, and any specific problems in my work he could write down for me to follow up and improve on.

he didn't have much reaction but said no specific problem. he continued to be kind of a dick but wasn't so aggressive after that, and we were able to continue working together without problems for the remainder of that project.

some people you'll never figure out, and will never enjoy working with, but you can make sure they don't harass you in a professional environment if you're firm.

Feb 25, 20 5:10 am  · 
 · 
Sitting Duck

^Seconded.

Feb 26, 20 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

You could start by asking for a meeting. You might say something along the lines of you feel like some people take an instant dislike to you, including this professor, and you would sincerely appreciate constructive feedback as to whether there is something you are doing, not doing or could do differently. Then--and this is important--listen to their feedback. Take notes, even, and review the notes after some time has passed. 

This approach should disarm them and shows that you understand that something is off and that you have the maturity to face it head-on in a non-emotional manner. 

Or switch classes. But my approach is better practice for real life. If it doesn't work, then switch classes. 

Feb 25, 20 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Menona

You mentioned Europe.  Is he just  -  French?

Feb 25, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

oui oui.

Feb 25, 20 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Your professor (or your boss in later life) is responsible for making a collegial environment for all. If he can't take a few minutes to know each class member and say 'good morning' and make small talk for a few minutes every class period he really shouldn't be in the classroom. 

Feb 25, 20 6:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Dokuser

Rest in peace to your grade! :)

Feb 26, 20 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

Well that gives me high hopes thanks.

Feb 26, 20 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I had two instructors that had a hard on for me. For whatever reason I don’t know. Sometime you just don’t rub people the right way. They both gave me the lowest passing grade to move on to next studio. Who cares,,, you move on and that’s jt

Feb 26, 20 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

Well I do care because I want to graduate with a good GPA. I was an excellent student at my former school and I am very hard working and really motivated to do well. It just seems so idiotic to me that this one person determines what my future will be like regardless of my efforts.

Feb 26, 20 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sitting Duck

Definitely confront the professor when you have enough context and frame of mind to speak objectively to their "unprofessional behavior".  I would have the 'spiel' ready to beforehand and attempt to appeal to their 'professionalism' as your way forward.  If you decide to stay in the class,  write everything down that you found out of line (getting into tiffs with the professor does not count). You have to be able to point to where because they acted "x" your instruction was negative impacted / withheld/ diminished  beyond just personality differences. Beyond that, you have to stay on top of the work load / deadlines so they can't point to that. If you feel compelled to challenge your grade at the end of the semester you will have specific references to challenge it with but be prepared for the bad grade all the same. (No one cares about grades, btw._ Most instances academia "endures" this kind of thing. The professor might not change their behavior in any significant way, but you will have learned to stand up for yourself, which is a hell of a lot easier to do in academia than the professional world.

Feb 26, 20 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: