Archinect
anchor

Virginity value

mark1

Hi,

This is a serious question! I am proofing a document from a translation that includes the following:

"Virginity value[MS1]  refers to the original characteristics of a historical monument; its artistic characteristics,  construction techniques and materials used during its original construction (Stubbs, 2009). "

Is this a normal architectural term, or has it "gained" in the translation. I cannot track down the Stubbs ref.

Thanks

Mark

Feb 24, 20 12:00 pm
Non Sequitur

pro-tip: google translates sucks

it's not a real word but the implied meaning is pretty obvious. Maybe track down the full text and seek out the original reference so that you don't loose meaningful context.  

Feb 24, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It took about 20 seconds and Google to track down the cited page of the Stubbs book, so I'm not going to tell you what it does say, as you should be able to stop being lazy and find it yourself if you've got any worth as a proofreader/researcher.  I will tell you that "virginity value" and its purported definition are from a bad and ridiculous translation that seems to have first appeared in a 2017 paper originally written in Turkish.  Whoever wrote what you're proofing probably plagiarized that bad translation.

Feb 24, 20 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
mark1

I always try to take the time to reply to forum responses, seems a reasonable thing to do.

I did search for this originally, easier than creating an account here! 

I realised it was a ridiculous translation. However, for whatever reason I failed to find it - maybe it was just late or a bad search.

Second time around, I managed to track it down.

I would say thanks, but you are such an arrogant arsehole, I won't waste my time.

That you took the time to pen such an unpleasant reply suggests that maybe look up the term "get a life".

Feb 29, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: