Archinect
anchor

Volume measurement of architecture

mdarcht

Recently found myself questioning about the measurement system in Architecture.

Because most countries still use area and height as basic measurements of architecture, but they sometimes don’t really correlate to the actual volume of a building. Which is not an effective measurement considering FAR and building to land ratio as regulations

So if measuring the volume of a building becomes more easier do you think it would become a more standard measurement of space rather than height or area?

Jan 29, 20 11:11 am
Non Sequitur

Measuring volume is important for the mechanical system... and that's pretty much it.  We already have an easy way to measure it thru BIM so I'm not sure what your point it?

Volume, I guess, could be neat from a design point of view, but it becomes useless when it comes time to design the elements within said volume.  These are still dependant on the basics length/height/area.  

Show me a tape that measures volume.

Jan 29, 20 11:17 am  · 
 · 
mdarcht

‘coz still the laws do not regulate buildings based on their volume, but mostly depend on height/area

So wondered if volume could be a more precise unit to regulate (let’s say for) diagonal or freeform architecture?

Jan 29, 20 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What is the advantage to regulate by volume?

Jan 29, 20 11:38 am  · 
 · 
peijunfei

It is crutial for calc and analysis for other discipline engineers. If you really work through a project from sd to ca and close out, you will have no question. Not really understand your point.

Jan 29, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 
mdarcht

Not doubting the importance of volume measurements in architecture, but curious if it could also become a factor in regulations like area or height, FAR, etc...(in the future?)

Jan 29, 20 11:54 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

what would the point of a FVR be?  Even if someone wanted to build crazy tall floors, they'd still hit the height limits.

Jan 29, 20 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: