Archinect
anchor

designing a two dimensional space

ediej

Hi everyone, I am working on my application to cooper union for architecture -- I don't really know a whole lot about architecture and have been doing a lot of research but one of the prompts is:

Compose a two-dimensional space with selections from the following elements: POINTS LINES PLANES

Use ONE of the following organizational concepts: BLUR INTERSECTION EXPANSION REFLECTION 

I mostly I am having trouble with what the organizational concepts are referring to, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 26, 20 8:32 pm
White_Snowman

Are these two different prompts or are you creating a two-dimensional space and also using one of the organizational concepts?

The first one sounds like they're asking for a floor plan or the design for an outdoor environment. The second sounds like it's cueing you for some sort of design element within the overall plan.

I'm new to this stuff too, but that'd be my takeaway if it were mine to do.

Jan 27, 20 1:25 am  · 
 · 
ediej

its all one prompt, but that is true the outdoor environment might be what they are asking for, thank you!

Jan 27, 20 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Space", by definition, is three dimensional. A two dimensional surface has no volume. If they wanted you to make a floorplan they should have said so. Giving you a choice of four words as 'orgazational concepts' with widely different possible meanings is bush. 

Jan 27, 20 6:39 am  · 
1  · 
ediej

true, most of the prompts they give are super broad. I think i am going to draw a parastitic style 'expansion' off of a building. i didnt even think of space saying it was three dimensional, that was dumb of me. thank you!

Jan 27, 20 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Menona

I would say, they're not specifically looking for a floor plan or anything decidedly architectural.  Look to abstract painting and draw from that.  Point Line Plane are basic elements of art.  The others are techniques or devices for deploying those elements. 

Look to work by Joan Miro or Kaspar Malevich (sp?) for starters.  Then find other artists in their era & tradition and ask those questions of thier wor (intersection blur etc). This prompt isn't about architecture specifically.  It's more abstract than that. 

Jan 27, 20 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
drums please, Fab?

this might cause more harm than good, but in addition to Miro and Malevich (M-n-M ha!) you should also be familiar with Daniel Libeskind's Chamber Works. It's basically one approach to this design excercise.  I think he did these while at Cranbrook so there you go.

And yes, 2-D has 'space'.  There is no question that 2-D has space.  You do NOT need the third dimension to talk about 'space'.

Jan 27, 20 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 
( o Y o )

Space is 3-dimensional. Accordingly there is no such thing as a 2-dimensional space. 

The solution is to make up whatever you want that somehow references the bullshit requirements in some obscure way. 

Jan 27, 20 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

sorry, boobs, but you couldn't be more wrong. if i draw two parallel lines on a sheet of paper, is there some sort of space between the lines?

it is SHOCKING that anyone on here would argue otherwise. 

Jan 27, 20 6:00 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

People often confuse "space" with "volume". I think that's part of it.

Jan 27, 20 8:03 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Mathematicians use a number of different definitions of "space", but in architecture we deal almost exclusively with Euclidean/Cartesian space, which is 3-dimensional. 2-dimensional objects can exist within this 3D space, but they are correctly referred to as "planes".

What the hell "BLUR INTERSECTION" and "EXPANSION REFLECTION" mean, I haven't the vaguest clue.

Jan 27, 20 8:33 pm  · 
1  · 
drums please, Fab?

i believe those are four different organizational concepts, not two. So you pick either blur, intersection, expansion, or reflection and use points, lines, and/or planes to communicate that on a sheet of paper.

this is not a complicated design exercise to understand, people.  plus it's Cranbrook, it's supposed to be all abstract and b-s'y.

Jan 27, 20 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

That makes more sense.

Jan 28, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Start by reading "Flatland"

Jan 27, 20 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

+++

Jan 30, 20 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

WHOA! You're doing the HOME TEST and you're here, asking questions?

Stop.

You're not ready.

You won't get in.

And.

This is flawed.

Jan 28, 20 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

“And yes, 2-D has 'space'.  There is no question that 2-D has space.  You do NOT need the third dimension to talk about 'space'”

You would technically need the 4th dimension (time) to talk about space.   You can’t talk without a time dimension. 

2D space is an abstract concept only.  It does not exist in the macro physical realm.  Even a piece of paper with 2 dots has a volume.  Even the sub atomic world is 3D...

Jan 29, 20 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

you so wrong, man. because we can't even begin to talk about the 4th dimension until we understand the age of aquarius. for this we need the 5th dimension.

Jan 30, 20 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

This got deep man . . . like so deep.

Jan 30, 20 10:42 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Can’t draw without a 4th dimension either. The act of drawing requires application of ink over time. The assignment is impossible. Lol

Jan 30, 20 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

The weed you have must be good.

Jan 30, 20 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It Is. Medical. One of the only benefits of having a neck fracture and bum knee.

Jan 30, 20 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: