Archinect
anchor

Questions about Studies

archibox3

So I've studying for 4 Semesters and so far there are some stuff that I'm noticed and I'm confused. So I'm posting here to listen other people's opinion.

I don't know if I did not take the courses in the right sequence , but are we supposed to have a previous knowledge any other than high school Maths, Physics and Freehand/technical drawing?

For example, I can't remember anyone in the university showing us how we are supposed to create a poster for a presentation (e.g. showing us samples of how we are supposed to make it). I know, it's not rocket science but I've seen other comparing to my mine and they've been more advanced/enriched than mine. There's other things that professors or tutors don't say but somehow the most of the students know it beforehand. 

Am I going in the wrong school? Are we are supposed to ask tutors all the time or even make the research on our own? Or am I just living in my own world? Sorry if this sounds stupid

Jan 9, 20 4:26 pm
SpontaneousCombustion

Unless you're specifically majoring in graphic design, you're probably never going to have a course anywhere that specifically teaches you how to organize a presentation board.  This is something that's nearly entirely self-taught for most architecture students.  The best thing to do is pay attention to others' work (other students, architects, advertisers...)  And yes, of course you're supposed to ask your tutors - but it's likely you'll get as many opinions as there are tutors. 

Jan 9, 20 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're in school to learn... and more importantly, you're in a design school to learn about design.  Don't expect to just be told how to do things step by step... it's up to you to make the effort produce well-thought out work.  If yours falls short of your colleagues, well, that's life and you just need to put in a more concentrated effort.  Spending some time researching examples on your own time is part of the learning process.

Yes, it sounds stupid because it is a stupid question. But there is nothing wrong with stupid questions since... well, how would you know it's stupid without asking it.  8-)    

Jan 9, 20 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: