Archinect
anchor

Someone 60 who wants to be become an architect

nickravo

Too old. University programs that might be hospitable? Case studies?

Dec 29, 19 12:40 pm
nickravo

I mean "Too old" as a question, btw.

Dec 29, 19 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what do you think you contribute to an architecture firm? 

Dec 29, 19 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I believe you should think long and hard about how your life experiences so far will contribute to success in this field ... it might be possible, but it is very unusual for someone of your age to attempt entry into this profession where one typically only becomes truly proficient after 30-40 years of practice.

I’m not trying to discourage you ... but do think you should be realistic about the challenges that you might face.

Good luck.

Dec 29, 19 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Good: François de Menil was a director/producer I think, before transitioning into architecture.

Bad: He is wealthy as fuck. 

Dec 29, 19 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Nice, seeing that architects gain prominence only around 70, in 10 years you should be famous, while the rest of us have been struggling since our 20s.

Jokes apart, if it enriches your life you should do it, but don’t expect to have any tangible benefits from it. You could go into academics etc but very tough to make real money at that age. Good luck!
Dec 29, 19 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If you have the financial wherewithal for a second career, and you have the passion for it, go for it. Beats the hell out of spending your retirement watching daytime TV.

Dec 30, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Look up the story of William E. Poole who designs classical homes. He was forced by family emergency to drop out of architectural school as a Freshman to help support his mother and siblings. He said it was the best thing that ever happened to him as he was spared the modernist indoctrination. 

https://www.williampoole.com/p...

Dec 30, 19 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

First you need to answer why. Then you can answer how.

Dec 30, 19 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: