Archinect
anchor

Tips for Applying to M. Arch Programs without an Architectural Background

preussarch

Currently in the preclinical research sector with a B.S. in Zoology and looking to change careers. Planning to apply to an M. Arch program in January of 2021. Took a semester of architecture classes 5 years ago (Drawing 101 (A), intro to arch. with some AutoCAD (A), and construction materials (B I think?)) and since then I really haven't done anything relevant to architecture other than sketching house designs and creating them in the Sims (huge hobby of mine). I also recently purchased a DSLR camera, Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom so I have some experience there. Have been fiddling around with the free version of SketchUp a little, too. I guess I'm asking what people in similar situations did to beef up their portfolios/resumes before applying to an M. Arch when they didn't have a degree in design/architecture to begin with. Thanks for the help!  

Dec 28, 19 2:37 pm
Non Sequitur

M.Arch applications from non-arch background folks should not include architecture-related works.  You're just going to look ridiculous.  Your application folio should demonstrate how you can think and solve problems through design... not a collection of shitty SIMs houses or amateur "photography".

Get yourself a good sketch book, some charcoal and conte, and get sketching.  After a few weeks of daily exercises, you'll be able to pick 2 pieces as a foundation...maybe.  

Your portfolio is not a collection of "skills", it's a representation of how you interpret design and your artistic flair. 

Sims? Gosh... I remember those dumpster fire applications from 2002... so many were filled with that.  

Dec 28, 19 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
chuckluck

hmm that's a bit of a generalization to begin with no? I mean I have a non-arch degree and I have several architecture projects over the years from studios I have taken and studying abroad etc. that I included in my portfolio. I get what you are saying though... I feel like people from non-arch background should definitely include architecture works if the quality is guaranteed and if it's presentable.

Dec 28, 19 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Guaranteed quality? Euuuuuh, what? My point was more directed to applicants who think showing some 3D sketch up massing is appropriate material. That’s almost always garbage.

Dec 29, 19 12:21 am  · 
 · 
preussarch

Boom, roasted. I wouldn’t dream of submitting a professional portfolio with anything made in Sims, it’s simply a way of expressing design ideas with an extremely limited means to do so (no Revit, Rhino, etc.). I included the fact that I have a camera to show that I am exploring creative mediums in preparation for school, not to boast about photography skills. I already have some exceptional charcoal works which I’d like to use in my application.

Dec 28, 19 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Stick to what you know and what you're good at. Your application is not the time to experiment. Besides that, everyone with a camera thinks of themselves as a photographer... best avoid that cliche in your portfolio unless you've won competitions.

Dec 28, 19 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: