Archinect
anchor

Which east coast graduate programs would you recommend?

harkla

Hi Archinect forum friends,

I'm currently finishing grad school applications for MFA & MDes programs and am trying to figure out which, if any, MArch I programs would also make sense for me specifically. My ultimate goal is to pursue commercial Interior Design (likely Hospitality) or a similar design career path that's based more on aesthetics and functionality on a smaller scale vs. the building of buildings/complex structures/landscapes etc, which I'm not very interested in. Some background info:

• Currently applying to: RISD for MDes Interior Architecture, Parsons MFA Interior Design, Pratt MFA Interior Design
  • I have a non-architecture/design background and am not technically-inclined, hence the MArch I and not II
  • Really only looking at east coast schools given I want to end up in the east coast for work (thinking maybe some ivies since they provide great networking and churn out a lot of industry leaders)
  • I've searched previous Archinect threads rather intensely and haven't found anything that fully addresses this type of inquiry. Plus since everyone is unique with unique goals, I wanted to see if y'all have any feedback on my specific situation 
  • Interested in: sustainability and adaptive reuse, nature-inspired design / biomimicry, lighting, color theory

After considering the ridiculously high cost and time commitment of ID programs (which are also NASAD and not NAAB accredited) for going back to school, I'm wondering whether I should be looking at any MArch I programs. If so, which schools and professors would you recommend? My thinking is since a MArch I is more broad-focused (ie architects can do ID among other creative pursuits but not vice versa), and there's always a possibility I could end up wanting to navigate to an adjacent career from ID, a MArch I could serve me well.

Thank you!

Dec 20, 19 7:08 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: