Archinect
anchor

Help! Should I stay in London or accept my scholarship to go to Sydney?

jayfeathersblue

Hello everyone!

I'm finding myself in a difficult situation and need some professional advice with my decision. I am currently studying first year BA Architecture at the University of Greenwich (as an EU student) and I am very happy with my course, my tutors, I have made good friends and am excited about my current project and I have been appointed Student representative for my year. Everything  is going really well. But now I have received and unconditional offer with a scholarship to cover half my tuition fees (20 000 AU$) to study at the University of Sydney. (I am receiving tuition fee loans in London to cover my 9 000 pound annual fee which I will have to repay eventually...) I have seen that they are doing great in the international ranking, for the course and employability (while my current university does not even show up in the top 100). Now I know that ranking is not everything. But I am also not sure if I can just let an opportunity like this go because I like my current tutors, project and friends - all things that are subject to  change. Also just because I like it so much here does not mean it won't be just as great there and while I have friends here already we have only known each other for a few months, I won't be loosing lifelong friendships... 

Both are possible options for me (financially and visa wise)...

I would appreciate any advice you might have for me, wether you have studied at or graduated from either of those Universities or you can give me advise as to what might be better for my career or maybe I have missed something that might help making my decision? 

Thank you sooo much in advance! 

Have a nice day everyone!

Jay

Dec 17, 19 11:23 am
ArchInterest44

I'd say go to Sydney. You won't get many opportunities to live and learn in Australia at a discounted rate. Those friends that are true will encourage you to do the same. Aside from the life style difference. The architecture is quite different than London and the experience would give you a leg up for sure. 

Go For It !!!!! :)

Dec 17, 19 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
jayfeathersblue

Thank you, yeah, it does sound so tempting and would be quite exciting I guess, I am just a bit worried that I might regret my decision if I am not as happy with my course there, so I want to have good reasons to go ..

Dec 17, 19 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
apkouv

Depends on where you want to live and practice in the future. If you get your degree at Sydney but want to return to London for work, you ll have to sit all 3 ARB exams which isn't exactly a straightforward process. That being said, if you are an EU national staying in London for 5 years can get you settled status (indefinite leave to remain) and you will be able to work in London (the centre for European architecture) for life. On the other hand Greenwich isn't exactly a first rate institution and I recall they had issues with the pass rates of their students by the RIBA visiting board years ago. Is the curriculum at University of Sydney of interest to you? 

Dec 17, 19 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
jayfeathersblue

Thank you for your advice! I am originally from Germany but I currently don't know where I will want to go for life. I would probably have to take additional exams if I were to go back to work in Germany anyway. Unless I return after the Bachelor to do my Masters there? Or would that require an extra exam as well? (also if I studied the bachelors degree in Sydney, could I return for my masters to London? I would probably have to redo "only" the exams required by then I guess? Would that make any sense at all?)

Dec 17, 19 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: