Getting a M.Arch Abroad, Is this valid for licensure in the US?


I am currently a senior in undergrad at the University of Maryland, College Park. I am in the process of finishing a B.S. in Architecture and am contemplating where to go for graduate school. I would love the opportunity to go abroad to earn my M.Arch and then return to the U.S. to work and eventually take the ARE and get licensed.

Which (if any) schools in the UK would offer accredited M.Arch degrees?

I have read about the Canberra Accords... but as I comprehend the programs listed there are only valid for transferral to a Canadian licensure.


Nov 6, 19 10:24 pm

Only Canadian schools are NAAB accredited and fully reciprocal. All other foreign schools have to go through NCARBs Byzantine equivalency process. The NAAB has a list on their website of international schools whose curriculum is "largely equivalent" to American schools and theoretically be easier to get recognized in the US.

Nov 7, 19 5:02 am

Thank you so much for the insight!!

Nov 7, 19 2:03 pm

If your plans are to work in the US long term go to school in the US and pick a Uni that has a year abroad in EU/UK. 

Nov 8, 19 3:50 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: