Archinect
anchor

Taking Time off From B.Arch Program

nicolesierra117

I'm second-year arch student working towards my B.Arch. I'm committed to learning and becoming experienced in the knowledge and skills of architecture. I love what we're learning in studio and related classes. However, over the past 2 years I've had a large amount of personal problems and mental health and could not take a gap year before college. I've always pushed through things by working harder and not stopping, and I don't want to give up on architecture. The plan was originally to get my degree and license and then take a year or two off to focus on art. I don't want to be a weak failure and quitter who couldn't handle things, but I also don't want to burn myself into the ground trying to finish my degree before taking a breather. So, I'm wondering about the feasibility of taking a quarter or two off from school to have a breather from stress and to look after myself and my own issues. Will it screw up my career to take a break?

Oct 29, 19 12:08 am
Non Sequitur

school is not that hard or important. If you’re struggling, there is no shame in taking a break. Your school likely has mental health services. Use them instead of online forums. 

Oct 29, 19 5:44 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Architecture school and career is a joke. You will realize it once you get out of school and start working. Your health and happiness comes first, career is secondary. Some people will die to land a job/career others know how to actually enjoy life.. I have learn this way to late..

Oct 29, 19 10:35 am  · 
 · 
GridBubbles

Ditto the comments above. Seriously, take care of yourself and do what is best for your own interest rather than catering to the expectation of others. The opportunities for school and work will ALWAYS be there, but your health and sanity will never be once the damage is done. Think of it like this... if you can design other people's problem, what is stopping you from designing your own life?

Oct 29, 19 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Taking time off now will not affect your future career, positively or negatively.

Dealing with mental health issues now can affect your future positively.

Taking time off to deal with your mental health once your career is started may affect your career negatively (though not nearly as negatively as trying to keep working with mental health issues effing up your productivity).

Oct 29, 19 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: