Archinect
anchor

future Canadian m.arch applicant

muji-pen

Hello!

im a 3rd year undergrad environmental design student, applying to m.arch programs in the fall of 2020 for the 2021 class (hopefully haha). Didn't know if i wanted to do architecture or landscape so environmental design has been a pretty fulfilling undergrad to explore the two. I've done several internships throughout my degree and have finally decided on an m.arch after seeing some of the realities of the profession

I was just wondering what advice a current student or graduate of an m.arch program would tell someone a year before they apply. i've started planning my application, but i was curious to know what others wish they had thought of earlier, or started earlier, so i can prioritize it.

Thanks for any responses! 

Oct 3, 19 12:44 am
Non Sequitur

You're already late, get your act together and start looking at what each grad school needs for applications.  Where are you currently studying and which schools are you looking to apply too?  How's your studio work and do you have enough work stocked up?

Maybe you'll be able to get into a 2y M.arch, but it's likely that you'll need to look at a 3y one.  I believe UBC has a joint masters in architecture & Landscape but the best advice is, don't chase a US degree unless you get it for free.  Canadian tuition is cheap vs american schools and there are a few schools with great M.arch programs.  Canadian exams are easier and more modern too, so if you want to build a career in canada, stay here.  

Oct 3, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

Why rush?

Oct 3, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think I said to rush, but the OP needs time to make an adequate folio and might need to make supplemental work outside on their bachelor degree's homework scope if they want a fighting chance at a good school.

Oct 3, 19 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
muji-pen

Hello, thanks for the response

Oct 4, 19 12:45 am  · 
 · 
muji-pen

I'm working on my portfolio now, I have 3 project done that I'm really confident in. My current studio project is going well, and if it turns out the way i see it turning out I'll throw it in there. So I'm at around 4 project with a year before I apply. I was planning to have around 5-6 in the folio.

Oct 4, 19 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You’ll need more than just School projects.

Oct 4, 19 5:55 am  · 
 · 
muji-pen

yup! half of them arent school project. 3 is from studios and 3 is gonna be from some non-profit work and research.

Oct 5, 19 12:55 am  · 
 · 
muji-pen

Portfolio aside (and yes i know its the most important part), is there anything else to really keep an eye out fo r?

Oct 5, 19 12:56 am  · 
 · 
muji-pen

for**

Oct 5, 19 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Reference letters are important. What schools are you looking at?

Oct 5, 19 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Personal artistic work, not projects, should be included in your folio. Make sure you show progress work and concept sketches too instead of just final glossy images.

Oct 5, 19 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Edit, Not JUST projects. Stupid phone.

Oct 5, 19 7:25 am  · 
 · 
muji-pen

im gonna apply to the university of Toronto (My safety school), Carleton, UBC, Georgia Institute of Tech, and Yale (a bit of a stretch but why not try)

Oct 5, 19 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: