Archinect
anchor

Is graduate school worth it knowing that you will eventually develop into a technical architect?

robhaw

I started graduate school a couple of weeks ago after having worked in the industry for 2 years. During my work experience I realised I was better at the technical part of the work and I can foresee that it's most likely I will develop into a technical architect. 

My question is, what's the point of doing graduate school where the focus lies on theory and research given that I am not going to become a designer-architect? 

Are there any benefits to it other than checking one more box so that I can proceed to licensing? 

Happy to hear your thoughts. 

Oct 1, 19 4:15 pm
Non Sequitur

design is a small fraction of the real world, but thinking & problem solving via design is a big skill to learn in grad school.  Besides this, yeah, lots of benefits to a license than just a box to tick but if you don’t know that already, maybe your best to stay as an arch tech. 

Oct 1, 19 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

I am not questioning the value of a license. Please read again.

Oct 1, 19 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Can you become licensed in your area without an accredited degree? In the US about 14 states allow you to become licensed with a non-accredited degree but your IDP takes 10 years and there is no state reciprocity for a license.      

Oct 1, 19 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

No, I need a Masters to get a lisense. I am not questioning the value of a license or education. Design education could be interesting and relevant to people aspiring to become designers. In my personal case, I just see the bottomline.

Oct 1, 19 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Then also get a degree in business management but please realize that designing is nothing more than solving a problem. In architecture that problem can range from an artistic concept to a flashing detail.

Oct 1, 19 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All that clarity after only 2 years working as a tech? You must be some sort of sorcerer.

Oct 1, 19 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

A technical sorcerer.

Oct 1, 19 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
GridBubbles

Depends on the jurisdiction but some places require Master's to become registered or work experience equivalent. I would say do it more for the connections, networking, learning experience as it may open doors. If possible, try to get scholarships or funding to cover the costs to reduce the financial burden or having it seem like less of a "waste" of money. Also, who's stopping you from pursuing technical avenues within Masters? Its not all academic theory because theoretical subjects can be approached from a technical angle as well.

Oct 1, 19 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

I understand that it's necessary in order to get licensed. I don't underlay the value of a license. I have also decided that I will do a technical dissertation. However, I just feel bad about wasting time on imaginary design projects. Rather than spending 2 more years in school, I'd rather be in practice, working on real projects and getting real world experience that will increase my value as a professional.

Oct 1, 19 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Your ability to become a licensed architect will greatly outweigh two more years experience doing CD's.

Oct 1, 19 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

I see your point.

Oct 1, 19 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
GridBubbles

Still need to master the fundamentals before specializing. I came from a tech background and when entering Master's I thought it was going to be a waste of time. Somewhat true, but I still gained knew insight on "design" that reinforces technical approach much better. It allows you to be flexible and ability to problem solve or formulate arguments. Those are pretty crucial both in academia and in practice. I say go for it and pair it with a degree in business management or real estate development etc.

Also, leave the ego at home. Your professors and classmates will produce projects and design topics that will literally make your eyes roll, but ignore your intuition and just go with the flow. Simply focus on what you're interested and just run with it. That was what got me through grad school and if I had to be honest, all the top performers in grad school were the ones with tech backgrounds who took the open minded approach.

Oct 2, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: