Archinect
anchor

Burn the bridge situation-a recent graduate desperately needs your advice

Kagura

I just started my first job after graduation. It's a part time position at a small firm. I was perfectly happy with this job until...on my very first day, I got two interview invitations from more prestigious offices. Both of them I contacted almost a month ago.

To add to the complication, I was an international student and will need work visa sponsorship next year. Which my current employer won't be able to provide. 

All factors considered, working for either one of the two prestigious offices would greatly further my career. Yet I have agreed to stay in current position for at least 3 months. 

I have not signed any contract or paper with my current employer. but I find it agonizing to even consider breaking my promise and leave so soon. Having that said, I wonder if I really have a choice to give up those opportunities to remain moral.

Thanks for reading, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sep 28, 19 10:12 am

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

Interviews are not job offers.

Sep 28, 19 10:57 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Take the interviews; see what happens.  Otherwise you'll always wonder what if.  If they offer you a job, then deal with that when it comes.

Sep 28, 19 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
midlander

this shouldn't be a matter of burning bridges. any decent boss will recognize that a full time job which sponsors your visa is more important than a part time job that doesn't.

if this isn't a decent boss, to hell with them. work that supports your life is far more important than a fake loyalty to someone who can't help you with important things.

Sep 28, 19 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Kagura

can't argue with that. Thanks midlander!

Sep 28, 19 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Visa sponsorship, enough said. If either of those two firms make an offer, with a visa sponsorship, take it.

Sep 28, 19 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Do the interviews, if you get offers then you can agonize

Sep 28, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

You have to look out for your best interests.  Remember that your firm is going to look out for its best interest.  Everyone knows the game.

Like the others have said, an interview is not a job offer so you don't have a decision to make yet.  Luckily, your current position is part-time so you can easily find time to go on the interview.  Now your goal is to get the job offer.  You never know, the offer might take a couple months to come.

When the time comes, you can have a conversation with your current employer.  But you still have some hurdles before that happens so set it aside for now.

Good luck.  Keep us posted!

Sep 28, 19 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kagura

Hi Michael! Thanks for the reminder. I am just mentally preparing myself so that I won't be flustered if I do get an offer right away.

Sep 28, 19 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

I’d be mentally preparing myself for the INTERVIEW.
How are you going to answer if they ask why you are interviewing so soon after taking a job?

Sep 29, 19 8:12 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i think it's pretty easy to explain leaving a part time no-contract job for a full time job with support for a visa. there isn't anything askance here. these are jobs, not romantic relationships: it's ok to leave for a better one any time.

Sep 29, 19 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Kagura

Thanks everyone for your replies. This has been very helpful.

Sep 28, 19 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
GridBubbles

You have a moral obligation to yourself to work towards your own best interest, NOT your employers. I would suggest taking the job interviews and see where it leads. 

Sep 30, 19 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: