Archinect
anchor

Winter Break/ December - January Internships

Dokuser

I am an undergraduate student looking to apply to internships that will take place during the winter months of December and January. My brother lives in upper Manhattan, and I have family in around the Bronx, so I would not need to worry about obtaining a place to stay. I just don’t want to waste my winter break away at home, and I would much rather use this towards furthering my architectural experience, as I will be graduating from undergrad in Spring of 2021. Anyone have any experiences interning over winter break? Although it is such a small time period of about 5 weeks, I’m open to anything. What have you guys done during this time?

Sep 18, 19 12:33 am
Non Sequitur

Whatever you do, don't take unpaid internships.

Sep 18, 19 1:46 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

Well, the architecture program i’m in requires me to obtain an amount of hours interning, so I’m all for working unpaid at this point in time.

Sep 18, 19 7:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No, you should never be in favour of unpaid (slavery) work. No exception. Have some respect for your time. "employers" who offer unpaid interships certainly won't.

Sep 18, 19 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I imagine you could learn a lot more going out, sketching and exploring the city.

From my perspective having someone new during just this specific time period seems like a lot of hassle. At least in my experience, a lot of people take off for the holidays, schedules are set to avoid near-holiday deadlines and everything just sort of slows down for a little bit.

Sep 18, 19 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I wouldn't intern during a winter break.  Like steeple says, everything slows down, everyone goes on vacation, and everything picks back up at the beginning of January.  (We purposely schedule deadlines at early-mid December with the next ones being late January, early February.)  Enjoy your break - you won't get many of them after you graduate - and do something else.  (I do like the idea of going out and sketching for days at a time.)  No matter how motivated you are, you risk burn out if you don't take a break.  If you feel like you need to be doing something, work on a portfolio or website and start researching firms you'd like to intern with during the upcoming summer.

Sep 18, 19 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: