Archinect
anchor

Going into B.Arch, need a good box for supplies

August F.

Hey all,

I'm starting my B.Arch in 5 weeks, and I have a whole lot of supplies for studio but no good box to put them in. I need something that can fit pens, rulers, various squares, a scale, a triangle, some french curves, some blades, a cutting mat, and a roll of bumwad. I'd like to be able to fit the box in my backpack or at least carry it by a handle, because rolling a toolbox around looks pretty stupid when you're not an actual worker.

Any recommendations?

Jul 18, 19 12:29 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I used a Stanley Fatmax version of this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-37-in-Black-Plastic-Wheeled-Lockable-Tool-Box/1000578337

Had a tray in the top that was great for pens and the like.  All my other crap went into the cavernous bottom.  

Jul 18, 19 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
August F.

Did this thing live in studio or did you roll it around all the time?

Jul 18, 19 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Lived in studio. Everyone had a desk that was about 3'x5'. Box lived in the space under it.

Jul 18, 19 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

That’s a lot of stuff to try and cram into a backpack. I used a fishing tackle box for most stuff and a soft portfolio bag for the larger items.

Jul 18, 19 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I have a "man-purse" that holds most of what you listed, plus a Dell XPS13 laptop (NOT suitable for CAD/BIM or any kind of rendering, OKish for SketchUp), a few other electronic devices and paraphernalia, and a fair number of markers. I don't carry around a cutting mat, but a small one would fit. There's enough space left over for a book or 2.

Vagarant Traveler Canvas 14" Laptop Messenger Bag- eBags Exclusive

Jul 18, 19 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My undergrad studios provided each student with a large horizontal wooden locker (on a stand) that doubled up as a model making table.  I kept all supplies in there as I had access to my workspace 24/7 and never ever brought studio work home.  At the end of each year, instead of emptying the locker out, I just back-up my car to the loading door and took that baby home for the summer.

Not relevant... I get it, but thanks for tossing me down memory lane for a few minutes.

Jul 18, 19 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
August F.

Do most undergrad studios let you leave your stuff at your station? If that's the case, I'll absolutely just get a locker instead of hauling every day.

Jul 18, 19 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is probably something you should ask the school.

Jul 18, 19 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I worked in the arts before going to studio, so I made a variety of plywood crates to pack them all up. I think I still have a crate of bees in my garage. 

Jul 19, 19 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: