Archinect
anchor

An Associate’s degree or more informal

ACroo99

I have been fascinated by architecture, its history, the math behind it, its form, function, and the creativity of it for as long as I can remember, but always from a distance. I have three degrees, but in history and education. I work in education, and when I taught math I even created an architectural study for my students that addressed the math concepts they were supposed to be learning. I have long since left the classroom and completed a doctorate but I continue to be drawn to architecture. As just a study of architecture, what would an associate’s degree provide me with that a more informal self-directed book study can’t? At this point I am not seeking a career change but I have often thought if I had it all to do a again I should have studied architecture instead. 

Jul 15, 19 6:08 pm
tduds

As far as I know, there's no such thing as an Associate degree in architecture. At that level, the best you're likely to find is a more tech focused program that will teach one to be a drafter. There may be some history programs but I've never heard of one.

Save your money and hit up a library. Or start with a Masterclass or similar online. I think Gehry has one?

Jul 15, 19 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

You could find an associates in interior design, which, at the right institution would give you a glimpse into studio culture. If that doesn't fix your problem ten you may be right that you should have been an architect.

Jul 15, 19 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

There are AA degrees in Architecture - I know of a few junior colleges here in California that have both an Architectural Technology track, intended for CAD/BIM employment immediately on graduation, and an Architecture track for transfer to a 5- or 6-year Architecture school. In your case, however, since you don't plan on a career change, I don't see any reason either of those would be superior to self-directed study. There are many good books, blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels, which you might then supplement with a few specific courses, but not the full AA program.

Good places to start are books by Francis D K Ching, any good History of Architecture book (Kostof is the one I am most familiar with), maybe some books by Rybczynski, Life of an Architect blog & podcast, maybe 30X40 Design Studio's YouTube Channel - then on down the rabbit hole those sources lead you to.

Jul 15, 19 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

There are community colleges / junior college that offer AA degrees in Architecture. It just depends on where you live and how far of the community college you have to travel to. 

I prefer studying in person under a teacher and along side students myself. And the tuition rate should not be too expensive and the duration of study is not too long because it is a community college and towards an AA degree. But if you prefer to learn on your own through the net and by books, by all means.

Good luck, 

Jul 16, 19 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: