Archinect
anchor

Useful Softwares

somewhat_concerned

Hey everybody--I'm an intern at a design-build firm and they have asked me to research softwares and present my findings.

Problem is, while I do know a handful of softwares fairly well, I want to introduce them to something they may actually USE in the future. (For example, why teach them Rhino when they already have Sketchup?)

What they use: Revit (duh) and Dynamo, Procore, Sketchup, Lumion, InDesign, and Bluebeam.

If you know any softwares that work well with these, let me know! This is a pretty informal assignment, but I would like it to be an interesting exposure to what's out there at the very least. 

Jul 7, 19 1:09 pm
Non Sequitur

MS Paint and CorelDraw are pretty key if you get the autodesk pluggin.

Jul 7, 19 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

Thank you!

Jul 7, 19 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I do post production of renderings in Gimpshop

Jul 7, 19 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

Oh interesting I've heard of that--I'll look into it. Thank you!

Jul 7, 19 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Just compiling lists of software is a fool’s errand without a more directed purpose.

Jul 7, 19 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

I'm trying to get a feel for what other firms use. Ideally I'm going to look into these suggestions here and from friends/other architects. Then I'll explore one software more thoroughly that looks like it could easily be picked up by people in my firm.

It probably won't--but I think the purpose is just to gain exposure to new softwares rather than actually use them

Jul 7, 19 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

But “Why?” is still the question you are missing. It doesn’t matter what other firms are using if you don’t know why and if your firm also doesn’t have a good reason to be using it. What are the problems that need to be fixed?

Jul 7, 19 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

That's actually your job? Jeez. Winrar for sure 

Jul 7, 19 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

Haha only one part. I do redlines just like every other intern. But thank you!

Jul 7, 19 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: