Archinect
anchor

Non-traditional job with arch degree

babyarchitect1

I'm just curious what 'other' jobs people have with a degree in architecture. People like to talk about how versatile the degree is but I've never actually heard of someone working outside the traditional path. Just curious really

Jun 5, 19 11:28 am

1 Featured Comment

All 5 Comments

Sitting Duck

I worked for a practical effects shop right out of undergrad. They love archies. We know a lot of the same modeling programs/etc. I missed human centered design so I returned to Architecture.

UX/UI design is another popular path, besides graphic design of course.

Jun 5, 19 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Some success stories come with big caveats: Folks could pivot back to the careers they had prior to entering architecture. A couple of bankers turned architecture students switched back to finance after finishing their degrees. Making such a move without a prior background isn't impossible but requires a lot more work!

Jun 5, 19 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

you’ve probably dealt with lots of people who had an architecture degree but you simply didn’t realise they did. Ask your barista or Uber driver...

Jun 5, 19 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Who may actually have an architecture job, but needs to moonlight to pay the student loans.

Jun 5, 19 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I’m currently applying at Starbucks. Wish I was joking. 

Jun 5, 19 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Archinect

Archinect's Working out of the Box interviews architects that have found success it other fields.

Jun 5, 19 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: