Archinect
anchor

M.arch or m.sci for future architect/developer career

9456210258UNN

Hi. I'm wondering if my future goal is to become an architect/developer of some sort and I am now have two options to pursue: one is to do m.arch so that I'd be more competent and confident in design, more credentials, but would have to spend lots of time on studio and not much else. Or pursuing a smarchs or m.sci in architecture where I could do more research and with course flexibility I could learn more about planning or the business sides of thing.. Which would be the best route?

I know that it might be best to just get a business degree if I really want to do business in the architecture field but I would like to know strictly within this 2 options what would your suggestions be? 

Thank you!

May 12, 19 1:51 pm

Attorneys will advise you from doing your own architecture as a developer, once you are doing any substantial work. 

As most architects suck at finances and running a business to great financial gains, I’d say an MBA after architecture undergrad would be a good option as well. 

May 12, 19 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Any why would attorneys advise that?

May 12, 19 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Liability. You want to separate yourself from it.

May 13, 19 6:19 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

A architect/developer usually has multiple companies. One would be the architecture firm. Another would be the development company. Sometimes each individual property is owned by a separate LLC. The various entities contract with one another to do the design, development, and property management work while remaining separate.

May 13, 19 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Your architecture LLC or company is still liable. Do you really want to go after “yourself” for E&O claim?
Like I said, when really big, they are best as different companies entirely.

May 13, 19 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Your architecture LLC or company is still liable. Do you really want to go after “yourself” for E&O claim?
Like I said, when really big, they are best as different companies entirely.

· 
thisisnotmyname

Maybe.  But I am thinking of John Portman and others.

May 13, 19 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Sure, many don’t. But when I started developing decades ago, it was the first thing my attorney advised. Do what you want.

May 13, 19 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

do you plan on becoming a licensed architect? If so m arch is the way to go. 

May 12, 19 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Yes, an architecture degree with a path to architectural licensing is always better than one without. An MS in real estate development would be the only logical MS degree I can think of for the OP, but it's not an architecture degree.

· 
OneLostArchitect

To become a licensed architect you need an accredited M. arch degree.

May 13, 19 11:43 am  · 
 · 
9456210258UNN

Thank you. Suppose I already have a B.arch or equivalent that already enables me to get a license. Would an m.sci in urbanism and planning useful towards career in development in the future?

May 13, 19 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I would question the cost vs. benefit of a budding developer studying urbanism and planning at any USA school. A much better fit would be one of the real estate development programs out there, some of which are affiliated with architecture schools.

May 13, 19 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: