Archinect
anchor

Unsure If I Should Go Into Architecture

Orange016

Hello!

I am a high school student, and figured I should start taking a serious look at careers to pursue. I have always loved building and design. This started from Lego's as a kid, to building houses in Minecraft, to now taking an Architectural Design class in which we are designing homes in CAD in high school.

But, I am unsure if going into architecture is right for me, or even more so if architecture school is right for me. I have done some research and it seems like many schools do not emphasize the building of actual structures, and that it is more of an art school, and the things made often do jot even reflect buildings. I am not saying these things are bad, and in fact I would say they help with creativity, but it is not what I would enjoy. 

That being said, I DO enjoy coming up with creative designs--just mostly on buildings. I don't want to be copying an Architect's plans onto CAD software either, though I really do like CAD. I have looked into careers related to architecture as well such as structural engineering, but I am unsure if that is what fits me, as they do not handle the design of the structure most of the time from what I understand. 

Are there other careers related to architecture I should know about? Are there acreddited schools that deal mostly with design of buildings

Thanks!

May 10, 19 11:58 pm
randomised

CAD  architecture

May 11, 19 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Orange016

I am aware, but creating original designs in CAD software kind of is in a way

May 11, 19 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Orange016

Sorry, posted my previous comment before I was done. Sure, CAD is not the same as architecture, but because I am creating unique designs in CAD I am wondering if architecture may be a good path to pursue.

May 11, 19 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

If you don't like CADing, then you're probably going to find the first few years of employment after graduation absolutely dreadful. GL OP

May 13, 19 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
GridBubbles

If you enjoy 'design' then pursue architecture. However, set realistic expectations and do not romanticize the profession of an architect. It is not as glamorous as one would think.

May 13, 19 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Save yourself tons of grief. Get a civil engineering degree with a concentration in structures from an ABET accredited school. Work a few years at a very generous starting salary and get your PE degree and then make a decision about graduate school in architecture. My guess is that by then you will be glad you dodged the bullet and be happy in the CE field. 

May 16, 19 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Don't Just Do It!

May 17, 19 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Architecture is a really fulfilling career. 

The pay is not as good as other professions requiring similar levels of education. However, I can't imagine another career that gives one the balance of creative and technical elements, problem solving, and cultural and social engagement as architecture.

You could try to attend a school that conforms with your current strengths - more technicaly oriented (Cal poly San Luis Obispo, KU, Ohio State, etc) or challenge yourself with a more radical design school (sci Arc, east coast schools, AA), but the vast majority will give you a good balance. Maybe look into Rice, Tulane or Auburn for good design-build with balanced technical and design instruction. 

Michigan, IIT, Cincinnati are some other balanced programs.

Good to think about what degree path you want to pursue. 5 year professional vs undergrad + 2 or 3 year masters.

Do some googling. Check out NAAB and NCARB if you are posting from the USA. Try to find a local architects office to do an internship at. Good luck!

May 17, 19 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: