Archinect
anchor

Help please!! Choosing a university to complete my Ba. of Architecture.

asmaa1

Should I practically restart my B.Arch (I've completed 2 years) at Ryerson University, with their 4 year Bachelor of Architectural Science program? Or at Dalhousie University, with their 2 year Bachelor of Environmental Design program (+2 yr M.Arch)?

The curriculum provided by the two universities look great (especially Dalhousies co-op terms), but considering the fact that I would like to work as an architect in Canada after obtaining my degree, I’m not sure about what would be the best choice here. Would a Bachelor of Architectural Science be considered more legit than a Bachelor in Environmental Design? I'd greatly appreciate any help as deadlines for responses are approaching. 

[A little more detail about the two years of the Bachelor of Architecture program that I’ve completed; the university I completed them at is one in Dubai, UAE.]

May 7, 19 1:18 pm
Non Sequitur

In order to start the license path in canada, you need an accredited M.arch degree (or equivalent under the CACB).  Neither RYU or DAL's undergrad degrees are accredited so really... it's a moot point as to which is more legit than the other.  But, if you can get into DAL's 2+2 program and leave with a Master's degree, then go for that since it'll be more streamlined and you'll have time to acclimatize to Canadian construction codes & professional practice.  Atlantic canada is very close to Dubai in regards to climate too.  8-) 

You can always complete your current degree and try to apply to canadian universities for an accredited M.arch but you'll likely be looking at a 3y master's by then.

May 7, 19 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Oh I see, so you think Dalhousies 2+2 program would be a better route for me then right? That way I won’t need to redo an entire 4 year bachelor program like I’d have to with Ryerson. But I’d still get the chance to learn more about architecture and construction codes in a climate like Canada’s. Which is another reason why I’m seriously looking into doing the four year program at Ryerson since everything I know is more relavent to the Dubai climate and building and construction codes (which are so very similar to the Canadian ones as you’ve mentioned XD). But do you think the Dalhousie 2+2 program would suffice? And after getting my masters there hopefully I’d then be able to work as an architect correct?

Also ideally, I would’ve liked to complete my B. Arch where I am and then go for a masters degree in Canada but (as you can probably imagine) Dubai’s ridiculously expensive and I don’t even think a B.Arch degree from Dubai would be the most useful for me in the long run considering the fact that I want to move back to Canada to work.

May 7, 19 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Oh yes, and I forgot to add; the university I've been attending puts barely any emphasis on Computer Aided Design, 3D modeling or any other kind of architectural software really (...I know...). I’ve literally only been taught AutoCAD and Sketchup - so do you know if Dalhousies 2+2 program would also kind
of teach such skills from scratch or would I be better off at Ryerson?

May 7, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So, a few key points. In Canada, you need a M.arch to register in the intern development program. This is where you can start accumulating experience hours in order to eventually sit for your exams. (ExACs). Only after you've completed the minimum hours and passed all 4 tests (and paid your yearly dues) can you call yourself architect in a professional sense. You can still be employable without all this, but you'll be a designer or tech, or whatever. 

Second, software is not the main focus of architecture school and in most programs, it is up to the student to take the time to learn on their own time or as part of a design studio. RYU definitively has a reputation as a more technical school while DAL has a very-much unique Atlantic canada vibe so pick your poison... But I think DAL has a stronger program plus it's shorter and you're not stuck in Toronto.

May 7, 19 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Oh I see, well that’s wonderful, I guess Dalhousie might be my winner. I just have one more question (I’m so sorry, I know I’m dragging on and on, I guess I’m more clueless than I initially thought); will it only be after I complete the ExACs, minimum hours, and all the payments that I’ll be considered a professional architect not just in Canada but elsewhere as well? Or will just the M.Arch allow me to be considered a professional architect elsewhere, but not in Canada?

May 7, 19 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

In Canada, you need a March, all your hours, all your exams, and be registered in order to call yourself an architect. If you then wish to practice on your own, you will then need professional insurance and a certificate of practice for your province. Other countries may have more relaxed rules (or no rules) but I don’t know.

May 7, 19 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Oh I see, makes sense. Thank you so much for the help and extremely useful information, I truly appreciate it!

May 7, 19 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers.

May 7, 19 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Oh I see, so you think Dalhousies 2+2 program would be a better route for me then right? That way I won’t need to redo an entire 4 year bachelor program like I’d have to with Ryerson. But I’d still get the chance to learn more about architecture and construction codes in a climate like Canada’s. Which is another reason why I’m seriously looking into doing the four year program at Ryerson since everything I know is more relavent to the Dubai climate and building and construction codes (which are so very similar to the Canadian ones as you’ve mentioned XD). But do you think the Dalhousie 2+2 program would suffice? And after getting my masters there hopefully I’d then be able to work as an architect correct? 

Also ideally, I would’ve liked to complete my B. Arch where I am and then go for a masters degree in Canada but (as you can probably imagine) Dubai’s ridiculously expensive and I don’t even think a B.Arch degree from Dubai would be the most useful for me in the long run considering the fact that I want to move back to Canada to work. 

May 7, 19 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Okay so I’m back with other question XD, what would happen if I threw Carleton’s Bachelor of Architectural Studies into the mix. I’m aware that I'd still have to do the M.Arch to continue my journey to becoming a certified architect and so it would take me 4 years to complete the Bachelor program and another 2 for the Masters. But it has been brought to my attention that in such a case, although I’d be starting from scratch still, I’d at least get to truly develop a portfolio for my applications to the M.Arch programs later on. Whereas in Dalhousie projects may be a little rushed and I wouldn’t have as many projects to showcase in my portfolio.

So, would a BED from Dalhousie give me as good of a chance of getting into M.Arch programs later on as a BAS from Carleton or a BArchSc from Ryerson? What are your thoughts on this?  

May 9, 19 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All 3 schools have distinctive design approaches when it comes to their undergrad curriculums. You have the potential to create good portfolios at either school but first look at the body of work produced by their students. Good portfolio work is obviously not guaranteed as it is 100% dependant on you so look at the faculty and past studio works to see what suits you best. Just note that only the design stream at carleton gives you access to the 2y M.arch. The other streams will likely require a 3y deal.

May 9, 19 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
asmaa1

Oh yes I see, of course, at the end of the day it all comes down to the work I put into everything I do that’s a great point. I’ll definitely look into the past studio works of each of the programs as you’ve suggested, that’ll give me a better look into the quality and types of work unique to each university for sure. And oh yes, I’m aware of that, the design stream at Carleton is what I am most interested in. Alright, well I guess I’ll continue my research then and see what suits me best like you said - thanks again!! (And sorry for bombarding you with so many questions.)

May 9, 19 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: