Archinect
anchor

Summer Program at Columbia GSAPP or Cooper Union?

jahanaranares

Hi! I am currently pursuing an engineering undergraduate degree at Harvey Mudd College. I was just accepted in Columbia GSAPP and Cooper Union's Introduction to Architecture summer intensive courses. As someone who is not super familiar with architecture programs, would one be better than the other? Any thoughts? Thank you!

Apr 29, 19 5:19 pm
archithat

I did Columbia's GSAPP. I would recommend it only for the name on your (presumably) m.arch resume, not the experience. 

We were divided into small studios based on prior art experience and assigned a professor. These were usually architects working around town, not really trained in education in anyway. They each had an assistant from the current GSAPP program, who were doing this for some kind of credit. Mine was obviously not invested in anyway and actually made so many mistakes that we had to correct. It really impeded our ability to reach deadlines. The critiques were interesting, I liked the exposure to how an architect thinks. The prof we had was thought provoking. My biggest concern tho was that we were forced to model the traditional way. We weren't exposed to programming (which we'll need for m.arch) and it took hours and hours to cut and attach expensive materials together. I would've rather used that time to learn something related to rendering so that that knowledge could be further used in the future. 

Apr 30, 19 1:56 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: