Archinect
anchor

Why would one choose not to go to GSD when got in?

9456210258UNN

I'm curious to know, I've seen people who have been admitted to the GSD and chose not to go, why is that? Is it because of the finances, or the program fit or is there specific reason people opt to not go to GSD even when they got in? ( I know and believe there are lots of great schools out there, but I'm just curious about this school specifically...)

Thanks!

Apr 29, 19 12:42 pm
brookrb

Financial is the main reason why most people don't go to Ivy league schools or similar. It's why I did not apply to any American or UK Ivy League schools. I already struggle with my Undergraduate debit, despite working full time and getting paid a fair wage at a good firm.

For some people it could be the location/city. Maybe they want to live outside of the United States. 

I had a young professor who went to Harvard, on fellowship, and asked him if it was worth it. He said "ask me in 10 years when my student loans are hopefully paid off." He's already 30+ and will be paying student loans till he's 40+? no thanks.

If people had the finances to afford it, I don't think they would turn it down. I know I wouldn't. 

Apr 29, 19 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
SpeculativeCollonade

I've also met people who have declined GSD to attend other schools (typically still along the north easter cluster like YSOA, MIT or Princeton) because of differences in ideology/pedagogy or a preference for particular faculty members. There are also those who choose their schools based on the city or region they want to work in after graduating. 

Apr 29, 19 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: