Archinect
anchor

Georgia Tech or Pratt for undergrad architecture?

khushsaraf

I got into Georgia Tech for the BS in Architecture program while I also got in Pratt for B.Arch with a scholarship of 20000 a year. I like the course at both the universities but am not sure on which one to choose. Can anyone help?

Apr 16, 19 10:19 am
B.ByAnds

Hi! I can only comment on Pratt since I am an alum and have no idea about what is even offered at Georgia Tech college-experience wise.

-Pratt is in the heart of Brooklyn and very close to Williamsburg. This might not mean much to you now but if you choose to come here it means you'll be in the epicenter of 'hipsterville'. Which might be what you want. There's a ton of great clubs, bars, restaurants and places to hang out. It was fun when I was in college and I loved being around all the cultural variety that came with those things.

-Proximity to Manhattan. You'll have everything NYC has to offer at your fingertips. Museums, jobs, food, clubs, shopping... etc. Just be aware this is Manhattan we're talking about and even though there are cheap alternatives to everything, there's also some sticker shock for living here. Celebrating brunch with your best friends on a weekend? Expect to shell out $40-$60 depending on where you go.

-Professors are all practicing architects. They are well experienced and there is a ton of information that they will offer you. The studio culture embraced by the arch students creates a very close-knit community very quickly. You'll have no problem making friends and your professors from first year will become some of your greatest advocates in 4th year. You might even have the same professor in your first year as in your thesis year which could be a great opportunity to track your own growth and collaborate with someone who has been there to see you grow.

-Pratt is focused on creative thinking and design. There are technical skills classes (Representation, Revit, CAD, engineering) but be aware you will spend the next 5 years obsessing over design and how to become the best designer you can be.

Hope this helps!

Apr 16, 19 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: