Archinect
anchor

should I attend "Advancing Computational Building Design" workshop?

cipyboy

I'm a 300-person firm Designer, I am trying to propose ways on how the firm would evolve to have a reputation on doing better designs. We have a wide spectrum of medium to large scale works but none actually aims to push the envelope. I was thinking introducing the firm to advanced thinking would be a good help. 

An excerpt from their website:

"Given the construction industry’s growing demand for design optimization and quicker feedback on each iteration, computation is an inevitable disruptive force in building architecture and engineering. However, challenges around ease of use, perception, workflow integration and speed of execution remain barriers to mass adoption.

Advancing Computational Building Design 2019 is returning in July for its third year to explore the best practices in integrating computation into the firm and the design process, sharing tools across the industry and proving its commercial value to gain buy-in.

Attendees will walk away with practical strategies and solutions for establishing and advancing computational design on their projects and in their firms."

Is this worth it? 

https://advancing-computational-design.com/

https://advancing-computational-design.com/about/agenda/

Apr 15, 19 12:52 pm
Gloominati

From what you've previously described of the culture of your current firm, and your role there, and your tendency to become disgruntled and regularly start charting new careers for yourself... well, I highly doubt this is really going to come in useful at that firm - at least not in the time that you're likely to stick with that job.  That said, if your firm is willing to foot the $1100-$2000 and the 2 days to go to this conference - well then yes it's worth it for you to go.  Free continuing ed is almost always worth it.  It sounds like a decent conference, although unreasonably expensive - and it sounds like the subject matter is in line with your interests, even if it might not be immediately implementable in this particular firm.  If you meant is it worth it for you to pay this out of pocket - then no.

Apr 15, 19 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
noithatmienbacjsc

I'm a 100-person firm Designer, I am trying to propose ways on how the firm would evolve to have a reputation on doing better designsBut there are times when I disagree with the leader

Apr 16, 19 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

then, start your own firm. That way you will only have to disagree with yourself... and have the added bonus of hustling to get clients, pay for staff, liability, etc...

Apr 17, 19 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Ive hammered on this many times on this forum.

Computational design takes a rigid and disciplined study if you want to actually use it towards applied building projects. A two-day course probably wont get that, but if you can propose an outline of how you'll continue to do that after the conference, you may be on to something.

Apr 17, 19 9:24 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Has any member of your firm's leadership expressed interest in pushing the envelope design-wise?  If so, this could help you; appeal to that person with a plan as Bench describes.  Otherwise, leadership may just be more interested in keeping clients happy, fees up, and hours billable.   

Apr 17, 19 9:36 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Dramatically changing the design direction of an established firm can be very difficult if you are not the owner or leader of the business.  The required adjustments among your staff and clients can be insurmountable.

Apr 17, 19 11:07 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

when creativity and intelligence fail, add some new tech

Apr 17, 19 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

When old people cant understand tech, claim being too good for it anyways.

Apr 17, 19 1:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: