Archinect
anchor

Being a Simple Person in Architecture School

endgamer

I hope i'm not the only person who feels this way.

Somehow I find myself having a hard time to have the passion in Architecture. At first, it's fun tho, but the more I get sucked into the reality of it, the more I became less passionate and it actually creates a conflict to my personal life. 

To me, being simple means that I am doing everything and my best for my family and for my future. But the way the practice of architecture was being introduced to me, feels like something bigger than that. For example, you will always hear the utters that architects have or should have an important role in the society. To me, it feels like embracing this idealism requires you to go afar and abandoning simplicity. One thing also is that in architecture school, we are taught how to design buildings and spaces for different needs and lifestyles. Now, speaking of lifestyle, I grew up from a not so fortunate family. How can I be passionate for something that I can not relate myself from.

The problem for me now is that my whole experience in architecture feels like a mistake that I've only realized after 5 years of staying. Yes, I already spent 5 years and haven't graduated yet because I left my two thesis courses for next last two semesters. My parents were the one who dragged me into this despite of being ignorant from what it really is and I want to blame them for it. If I'm going to love something, I want to love it base from what it really is and not from what my parents and I know what it is.

Apr 13, 19 10:30 am
OneLostArchitect

I think you answered your  own question. However

Apr 13, 19 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Sorry typing on phone..... however if you are that far along you might as well wrap up your degree personally. One nice thing about architecture is that it can be an avenue for many side roads you may be interested in. Just grin and bear it and get your degree. Then discover what you want to do. Don’t let the architecture snobs at school determine your path.

Apr 13, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Beato

I think I understand what are you trying to say.
I graduated furniture and interior design. My style is practical, reasonable  and I always consider how my design influences the environment. I focus on the user of the space/product and not to fulfill my creative idea at any cost. This is how my brain works and I am not able to fake my creative expression. On the contrary, in the past years design trends are oriented more towards expressing the artistic side and not the engineer/practical side of design/architecture. The current trends are not bad at all, but you are not obligated to follow them.

Apr 13, 19 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Chiming in to agree with OneLostArchitect above. Honestly, other fields are seeing the value of design thinking now, and an architecture degree should have taught you to think about solutions both logically and emotionally, depending on what the context is. You can apply that creative thinking to all kinds of things. 

Finish your degree so you have it in hand and on your resume, then look to what interests you as a daily job. It might be in an architecture firm doing architecture or doing something else, like marketing, or it might be bartending. Or event management. Or whatever. 

Also, take a listen to this podcast with Eva Hagberg. She loves architecture but doesn't love doing it, so she is now "an accountant with words".  https://archinect.com/news/article/150127791/everything-s-gonna-be-great-a-conversation-with-eva-Hagberg  

Apr 13, 19 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I suggest you immediately seek some some counseling (usually available for free at your school) to talk through some of your emotions.

You should also see if your school has career counseling where you can do some evaluations to see where your interests and aptitudes really lie.

That said, you need to finish your degree as soon as possible and focus on moving into a career path that works for you.  Among other things, a government architectural position might really work for you as they usually have very set hours (more family time for you) and reasonable pay with good benefits (economic security).   

Apr 13, 19 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: