Archinect
anchor

Business Undergrad Looking to Pursue Master of Architecture. Need Advice!

landon1

Hi all, I am a recent graduated from CSUF with a business administration (economics) bachelor's degree. I have an interest and passion for design and architecture so I want to pursue my dreams. I don't have much background in design but I do have background in photography. 

I was looking into the M. Arch programs that were offered at some of the schools in Southern California (Sci Arc, Cal Poly Pomona, etc.). I was wondering how difficult it was to get accepted into these Masters programs and how the program was for people that didn't have an architectural undergraduate such as myself.

Please give me any advice that you would possibly have as I am very new to all of this and the process! Thank you!

Apr 10, 19 4:29 pm
atelier nobody

The first thing to look at is whether they have an NAAB-Accredited MArch program for non-architecture graduates - these programs do exist, but not all schools offer them.

As far as getting in, they won't expect an architectural portfolio (obvs), but they will want to see some sort of portfolio showing some design aptitude - I would try to get in touch with some of the profs at whichever school(s) interest you and ask them whether your photography portfolio will work, or what else they might want to see.

Apr 10, 19 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
landon1

Thanks for your reply. I do believe the schools that I have been looking at in my area of SoCal are NAAB accredited even for non-architecture graduates. Do you know if the GRE is required for these applications?

Apr 10, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Obtain "Becoming an Architect" to learn the process between now and becoming licensed.

Another great resource is StudyArchitecture.com.  Also, I suggest you contact each program in which you are interested and ask them about the program and their admissions process.

Becoming an Architect: A Guide to Careers in Design - 3rd Edition
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118612132.html

Apr 10, 19 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: