Archinect
anchor

Canadian M.Arch programs + Non-Traditional background?

barchingupthewrongdegree

Hi all,

I'd like to attend an M.Arch program in Canada, and I have a non-traditional undergraduate degree (i.e. not in architecture). I'm putting together a list of programs that allow applicants with non-traditional backgrounds to apply and as far as I can tell the below schools do not allow this:

- Waterloo

- Ryerson 

Could someone please let me know if there are bridge programs or other exceptions at these schools which would allow someone with a degree in art, business, life science, etc. to apply for the M.Arch?

My preference is to attend a program in Ontario, but it looks like UofT and Carleton are my only options, unless there are other options at Waterloo/Ryerson.

Thank you.

Apr 4, 19 3:20 pm
Non Sequitur

I don't know about Ryerson but there is absolutely no chance to get into Waterloo M.Arch if you do not already have a relevant bachelor's degree. (B.A.S.).  It is the top school in canada and does not have the same 2+1 year program that allows a transition for non-traditional background folks.

There are only 4 accredited M.arch programs in Ontario at the moment.  UofT and Carleton have the ideal structure for your situation.  Those are your options if you wan to study in ontario, but note that there are 7 other schools in canada. For example, UBC also accepts non-traditional applicants.

Apr 4, 19 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"It is the top school in canada". Let's not get too crazy now. I went there and I can barly writ

Apr 4, 19 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

relative the others, it's above (Cambridge location not withstanding). From what I discern, I was there about 4-6 years after you. 8-)

Apr 4, 19 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Did you just call me old?

Apr 4, 19 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I sure did.

Apr 4, 19 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

just a little rusty

Apr 4, 19 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

lol

Apr 4, 19 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
cadip

I applied to McGill with a non-traditional architecture degree and they told me I wasn't accepted because I hadn't taken what they consider to be "qualifying courses". I did get into both U of T and Carleton though! Best of luck to ya!

Apr 4, 19 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
workmorelivemore

I know your preference is Ontario, but you would be the ideal UBC applicant: non-traditional non-local. 

Apr 4, 19 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: