Archinect
anchor

Free Masters of Architecture in Germany?

arcpizza

What are your thoughts on taking school in North America vs. Germany?

A friend of mine reached up to me letting me know if I didn't get in to any of the masters program in Canada or want to save money, there is an option to take one in Germany, it's for free, and apparently guaranteed entry. The school name is called "Hochschule Wismar"

Thanks

Apr 2, 19 1:06 pm
Non Sequitur
  1. Is the german school free for non-natives?
  2. Is the school accredited under the CACB?
  3. How good, in your opinion, is the education when there are no barriers (either academic or financial) for entry?
  4. Canadian tuition is heavily subsidized and there are many different types of architecture schools.  Some with high entry requirements, some with less. What/where have you considered applying?

Apr 2, 19 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Be aware that "free" education in Europe never includes living expenses - unless you can get a scholarship, you will have to come up with money for living expenses on your own.

Pros: Studying abroad is generally its own reward; if you're interested in becoming a qualified architect in the EU, this will help you.

Con: If you come back to Canada (or the US) and plan on becoming licensed, you'll have to deal with the hassle of having your foreign degree evaluated.

Apr 2, 19 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

How do you get a foreign degree evaluated? If you come back to Canada as a licensed architect do you still need to do that?

Apr 2, 19 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is a process through the CACB to do that. It’s not simple nor is it cheap.

Apr 3, 19 5:54 am  · 
 · 
archinet

Tuition for German architecture school is free for anybody. However you have to get in. I never heard of any masters of Architecture program in Germany with guaranteed entry, nor have I heard of "Hochschule Wismar", so prolly its not very good.  Most arch programs in Germany require that you speak German so you have to prove this with a German language certificate. There are maybe two arch programs that are fully in english but they are not particularly good.  The better ones are in German. 

In terms of seeing if and how you would then be able to get licensed in Canada you should contact the registration board in Canada. 

BTW there are other schools in Europe outside of Germany that are tuition free also. 

I would consider it only if you would want to stay in the EU after graduation, tuition can´t be that bad in Canada? 

Apr 3, 19 5:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Canadian tuition for non internationals is about 8 to 10k per year. That’s canadian loonies.

Apr 3, 19 5:55 am  · 
 · 
archinet

Apr 3, 19 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Arch.Lu

Only in Germany and Norway tuition fee cost are free for students from other countries outside the EU, France started to charge this year.

Apr 3, 19 9:39 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Nothing in life is free. Remember that.

Apr 3, 19 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: